What's new

Apple is aware of battery life problem on 4s and iphone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the downloading the update, I charged phone to maximum. I'm running Siri, wi-fi, notifications, pushing 3 email accounts an hour, Bluetooth, and locations service. One hour later I'm at 91%. That's with moderate use, posting to LinkedIn, this forum, and doing random checks.

It still uses quite a bit of juice when on social websites, or forums. It has gone from 91 - 88% while writing this post. That's approximately 10 minutes. I know, I was taking my time.

Update on iOS 5.0.1 Beta 2 that became the public release today. Siri is still off and I am still "unloading apps" after I am done using them before putting the phone to sleep.

First post on this run: http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...m-4s-iphone-4-a-25149/index11.html#post135098

Battery remaining: 50%
Usage: 3:33
Standby: 23:37

Once again the "projected" math.

The old way using straight time projection:
Usage (213 / .5 / 60) = 7:06
Standby (1417 / .9 / 60) = 47:14

Again the estimate is actually promising. Almost two days without charging and now 7 hours.

The new theory for estimate battery drain and then comparing to actual:
Usage (213 / 7.25) = 29.37% ** 7 minutes 15 seconds of use per 1%
Standby (1417 / 60) = 23.61% ** 60 minutes of standby per 1%
Estimate battery drain of 52.98% vs actual of 50%.

Another promising estimate and still within 3 percent of actual.

Note to self: 24 hours of standby happens at 3:45 pm CST.

Skull, what kind of usage are you doing? Apps, texting, emails, etc?

In my initial tests streaming movies over 3G looks to be using 1% every 2.5 minutes while steaming over wifi is using 1% every 5.5 minutes.

Everything. Pictures, calls, texts, emails, games, web, etc.

Five hours after downloading the iOS 5.0.1 update and using the phone moderately, I'm at 52%.

NewdestinyX said:
Are you sure of this? In other beta runs I've done with other companies - if the name of the final release (version number) is the same name as the last beta - it doesn't necessarily mean that the final release to public was the identical in code to the last beta. Part of me wants to do a full restore as I'm not confident that 5.0.1 public release is identical to beta 2. How again are you positive? 5.0.1 beta 2 was listed in the phone as simply 5.0.1. Naturally then iTunes would see you as 'already updated' simply because the name of Beta 2 in a tester's phone and the public release of 5.0.1 on Apple's servers are identical.

Because nothing is requiring me to update. Hence I am on the correct release. Hence it has to be the same version. Apple ALWAYS changes the version number on a release if there is something different. Even it is just one byte. It is the only way to do proper control of 100 million plus devices.

Last edited:
Well at the end of the day,or seven hours later.. Moderate use on the web, texting, a call or two puts me at 28% left. I guess that's not bad since I'm running pretty much all the features. However I'll keep my battery case close by for backup.

I must compliment scull one and newdestinyx plus our OP not to mention others whom have contributed to this thread. This is what forums are about. One only needs to look at the number of visitors to this thread to understand why...

Guys thank you on behalf of our staff.

Col.bris said:
I must compliment scull one and newdestinyx plus our OP not to mention others whom have contributed to this thread. This is what forums are about. One only needs to look at the number of visitors to this thread to understand why...

Plus one.

Col.bris said:

Plus one. :)

No, Skull, that's not the automatic indicator in any beta work I've ever done.They DID change the version number.. From 5.0 to 5.0.1! Before they started the beta test run. The only reason iTunes is telling you you're 'up to date' is because it sees the numbers 5.0.1 already in your phone. Usually there's an 'fc' = final candidate in the beta. And then there is a few more lines of code added and then all beta testers have to download the final version that has no 'beta' name. The last beta in the test run and the final release, bearing the same version # are always different pieces of final code in all beta work I've done. They would never change the name to 5.0.2 after a few more lines of code were added if the whole beta run was for an upcoming release already agreed to be called 5.0.1. That make no sense at all.

I would strongly urge all beta testers to download the full release and do a restore. That's what I'm doing. There is 'ALWAYS' more code added after a final beta release in my experience for 3 different software companies.

Now - Skull - you've worked with Apple more than I have. So I have to lean toward your understanding with Apple. But if what you're saying is the case -- it's a unique practice to Apple. It's not the way beta work is done anywhere else. In fact with one company - right in the NDA I signed (non disclosure agreement) they state the tester is expected to do a full erasure of the last beta and install the final build from the servers. That's just 'normal beta testing procedure'.

Thankfully Apple doesn't use numeric version number (5.0.X) to detect if you need to upgrade/update. It uses the 5 character version like 9A404 (which was iOS 5.0.1 Beta 2). Now granted my experience with Apple's developer program only started with iOS 5 but thru it, the OTA updates always worked because of the 5 character ID.

I will be downloading and comparing the BETA 2 ispw to the actual release file to see what I can find out about the differences. Because you do bring up some very good points that I assumed didn't apply to Apple based on my first round of iOS 5 testing.

Skull One said:
Thankfully Apple doesn't use numeric version number (5.0.X) to detect if you need to upgrade/update. It uses the 5 character version like 9A404 (which was iOS 5.0.1 Beta 2). Now granted my experience with Apple's developer program only started with iOS 5 but thru it, the OTA updates always worked because of the 5 character ID.

I will be downloading and comparing the BETA 2 ispw to the actual release file to see what I can find out about the differences. Because you do bring up some very good points that I assumed didn't apply to Apple based on my first round of iOS 5 testing.

I have done tests on the public release of ios 5.0.1 compared to the beta 2. Honestly. There is no difference skull

Post #3 on Beta 2 of iOS 5.0.1 battery testing. Second post for reference - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...m-4s-iphone-4-a-25149/index12.html#post135309 which also leads to the first post.

I forgot to mention in the previous posts that I tweaked my original "predictive based on my average use" math and added a new wrinkle to it. I am not subtracting out the usage from standby. While yes that does mean I have a very odd overall math formula, that doesn't really cut mustard in the academic sense, it fits my theory so I am just going with it ;)

Battery remaining: 22%
Usage: 5:14
Standby: 41:27

Once again the "projected" math.

The old way using straight time projection:
Usage (314 / .78 / 60) = 6:43
Standby (2487 / .78 / 60) = 53:09

Another promising report.

The new theory for estimate battery drain and then comparing to actual:
Usage (314 / 7.25) = 43.31% ** 7 minutes 15 seconds of use per 1%
Standby (2487 / 60) = 41.45% ** 60 minutes of standby per 1%
Estimate battery drain of 84.76% vs actual of 78%.

Now I am off by almost 7%. Which is actually very good news. This means I should be able to get 9 hours of use and 24 hours of standby. Of course this also means I need to start tweaking my math soon :)

I am going to wipe my phone and install the "public" release of 5.0.1 and then do a full data restore to run another test. This test will be with Siri on but never used and still "unloading" applications after I use them. While this test is not "pure" because I am possibly changing out small pieces of code from the beta to the official release, my hope is it won't cause to much issues since I am fairly certain there was no change.

Status
Not open for further replies.