What's new

Apple is aware of battery life problem on 4s and iphone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just confirmed that my iPhone 4S shows the IR light on even though I turned Siri off and did a reboot. I can't use my iPhone 4S to test my coworkers iPhone 4 because the 4Ses camera has a bloody IR filter.

Hmm. Does anyone have a Droid or a point and shoot. Some of the older ones won't filter the IR.

I just got a notification from App advice that Apple just released iOS 5.0.1. Can anyone confirm this?

Hmm. Does anyone have a Droid or a point and shoot. Some of the older ones won't filter the IR.

Thank you for making me think. The front facing camera on the iPhone 4S doesn't have an IR filter. :)

Ok, I just confirmed that the iPhone 4 only turns on its IR source when in a call. It is a steady light and actually seems a tad brighter than your video and my quick test in office shows.

Now I am questioning how much battery that IR source draws. Technically it shouldn't be much. But "What if"....

Thank you for making me think. The front facing camera on the iPhone 4S doesn't have an IR filter. :)

Ok, I just confirmed that the iPhone 4 only turns on its IR source when in a call. It is a steady light and actually seems a tad brighter than your video and my quick test in office shows.

Now I am questioning how much battery that IR source draws. Technically it shouldn't be much. But "What if"....

Can you report this via your developer status? Might be nice to know we found a bug if in fact it's not supposed to be on all the time.

Can you report this via your developer status? Might be nice to know we found a bug if in fact it's not supposed to be on all the time.

I plan to file a full report on it tonight.

$Infrared.jpg

Here is an image of the sensor.

The update did not change the sensors behavior. It still fires all the time when the screen is on whether Siri is disabled or enabled.

Rocko said:
Yes via iTunes at the moment, OTA didn't show up anything for me. I assume that will roll out in stages.

Ok. I didn't see it via OTA either. I'll download it later.

Skull One said:
Ok if OTA is now up and running then I can confirm that iOS 5.0.1 Beta 2 is what went out because I am not showing an update as available since I am already on it.

I just successfully finish the update. Now doing it on my iPad 2. Hope the battery is improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.