What's new

Apple giving the boot to outdated model updates

I saw this article too. It’s pretty sad. For us people who have a iPhone 6 or less.

It’s about time. Considering that the iPhone 6 is turning 5 years old. In technology terms, that’s ancient.

My toaster oven doesn’t even last that long. Let’s be honest.

It’s not really that old considering that I got mine brand new in 2018 at Christmas. And also it just got iOS 12.3.

In my opinion the 6 is still a good phone. I don’t see why ios13 would not be supported.

In my opinion the 6 is still a good phone. I don’t see why ios13 would not be supported.
The most likely reason why the iPhone 6 will not receive iOS 13 is that the hardware will not support the features iOS 13 offers.

The cynical side of me says it's to help move people into more modern iPhones, the ones Apple is still selling.

Thing is, once someone goes to a newer iPhone they see the improvements in the hardware and can't imagine going back

I bought an SE about a year ago and have no interest in other models unless they have the smaller size factor of the SE. I intend to use my SE as long as possible. As long as I can make and receive phone calls with my phone, I am satisfied. I can't really see spending a grand every two years just to be able to make phone calls or surf the web once in awhile.

You can keep using your SE until it no longer physically works, you just won't have the most up to date iOS on it, and at some time in the future you might want the latest security or hardware. Until then, your current iPhone is still a winner.

I was reading this thread and wondering what do I use everyday all day and night (average 14 hours a day) that's more than five years old...Needless to say, that list was VERY short. When I purchase a 5 year old car, do I expect the same performance or luxuries as a newer model? No I do not. As a business I can't continue to support the old merchandise forever or I would go out of business.
With that said, I suggest to keep using your iPhone of choice if you choose to until it stops working with the understanding it's not personal it's business.

In my humble opinion an iPhone is a iPhone it doesn’t really matter how old or how up to date it is as long it does what you need and still keeps working.

My iPhone 7 (2016) and my wife’s iPhone 6 (2014) are both still working quite well. I used to get each new model when it was released and pass my old phone down to my much better half. I’ve stopped doing that because the cost increases on iPhones have nearly priced me out of getting another one. I’ve come to the belief of why replace it if it still works well and serves my needs?? My wife’s iPhone 6 could use a new battery. Replacing its battery for $100 or so and getting another few years of good use from it beats the heck out the price tag of a new phone. Sure, I’ll probably get a new iPhone in two or three years but in the meantime I’ve saved myself $2000 to $3000.

iPhones can be expensive if your going for the most up to date technology. I was just recently given a iPhone 8 for free from a friend because my iPhone 6 was no longer going to support a game I was playing and a friend had upgraded to a better phone.

iPhones can be expensive if your going for the most up to date technology. I was just recently given a iPhone 8 for free from a friend because my iPhone 6 was no longer going to support a game I was playing and a friend had upgraded to a better phone.

Congratulations. The iPhone 8 is a very good iPhone with several years of life left if Apple continues with its iOS update pattern. Enjoy