What's new

Apple gets sued over faulty iPhone 4 power button

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
iphone4-back.png

We are always saying how happy Apple customers usually are about their products. But that’s not always the case. According to a Florida woman, the tech giant was aware of a faulty flex cable messing with the iPhone 4’s power button, but chose to do nothing about it, hoping the whole thing would just go away.

But the woman decided that Apple should be held accountable so she sued the Cupertino company for no more than $5 million. And apparently, she’s not the only one unhappy with the iPhone 4. It turns out that she’s actually the representative for a whole group of people who own iPhone 4s with defect power buttons that hinders them from turning on/off the device or locking it.

In order to build a case, she has gathered countless testimonies from forum users who seem to be complaining about the same problematic button. She also managed to find a fix-it-yourself video tutorial on YouTube that teaches users of decrepit iPhones how to fix the button. The person behind the video is also heard commenting that the iPhone 4 faulty button problem affects a lot of users.

Debra Hilton, the woman in question, explains in the petition that when first purchased, the iPhone 4’s button seems to be in good condition, but after a year of intense use, it caved in. That’s problematic, since the iPhone 4 warranty is already expired at this point, so the user has to pay good cash for the problem to be solved.

The lawsuit was filed in San Jose, California.

Source: GigaOm

It seems as if she expects there to be no time limit for the end of warranty service.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

What would be a reasonable amount of time for a $600.00 phone to be useable to you Mr. Moderator?

What would be a reasonable amount of time for a $600.00 phone to be useable to you Mr. Moderator?

One year is a decent warranty. A lot of electronics only receive 90 day warranties. One year is the norm for cell phones.
The article states 1 year under intensive use. What's considered "intensive" use, I'm not positive of, but I've had my iPhone 4 for over 2 years now and I've used it to what I've considered intensive. The only button I ever have an issue with is my home button, and its not too big of a deal. It just doesn't wanna respond quickly once in a blue moon.

What I'm trying to say is, one year is the going warranty for cell phones, and whether that's fair or not isn't for me to say, but everything wears out eventually. Even a $600.00 phone.

But apple having so much money I'm sure they could do the same as Htc, Htc give 24 months warranty, they even come to your house pick the phone up and deliver it back, now that's what I call good service, most mobile contracts are 24 months so that means you won't need to insure your Htc phone because Htc guarantees it for 24 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

But apple having so much money I'm sure they could do the same as Htc, Htc give 24 months warranty, they even come to your house pick the phone up and deliver it back, now that's what I call good service, most mobile contracts are 24 months so that means you won't need to insure your Htc phone because Htc guarantees it for 24 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

How much warranty you get with an iPhone depends on where it was bought. In the European Union, the warranty is two years.

I think she should be asked to explain how a $149 repair translates into a $5 million lawsuit. These forums are full of advice about extended warranties. Perhaps she should have invested in AppleCare?

I think she should be asked to explain how a $149 repair translates into a $5 million lawsuit. These forums are full of advice about extended warranties. Perhaps she should have invested in AppleCare?

Apparently she's acting on behalf of a large group of owners.