What's new

Apple Care or Asurian Insurance for iPhone5?

Clemson: Does Square Trade have a deductible? And is that $124 annually or for the entire 3 year period? Last - does ST give the "buying price" at any time during that 3 years, or is it prorated as the value of the phone drops each year?

If I remember I was solicited by Apple to buy the Apple care plan when my one year warranty was about to expire which I did and my iphone 4 home button was getting a bit slow to respond and on the 23rd month I took the phone to Apple and they have replaced it with a new one, so I guess the Apple care investment was worth it. Regarding insurance, I include it with my home insurance which is cheaper than nearly $12 per month.
are you sure?

ariana said:
Apple Care does not cover lost or theft. Asurion does.
No it doesn't. But in the history of owning a cell phone, I've never had one lost or stolen. So it doesn't make sense for me to spend that much extra for that feature. Not to mention, as long as the phone is on, I can track it anywhere it goes, both through google latitude and through find my iPhone.

cuskit said:
Clemson: Does Square Trade have a deductible? And is that $124 annually or for the entire 3 year period? Last - does ST give the "buying price" at any time during that 3 years, or is it prorated as the value of the phone drops each year?

The deductible is $50. The $124 is for the entire 3 years. And yes, they give the buying price at any point in that 3 years. The apple store, or carriers do not prorate the price, therefore ST cannot either.

Doesn't your phone have to be on for either Google Latitude or Find My Phone to work? What if the battery dies before you can locate it? I mean - you may not realize you've lost it for hours or more, and suppose the battery charge was already low? Questions only - looking for answers.. ;)

I can say that I did lose my Moto Droid once - fell asleep on a 2 hour train ride and woke up kinda drousy and got up from my seat and left the train in Penn Station NYC. I realized that I left the phone on the train seat several hours later - went back immediately but their "Lost & Found" would not be open until the next morning (this happened well after midnight). Called the next morning and no reports of a Droid turned in. So yea - I know what it's like to lose a phone.. :( Fortunately I did have Asurian for that and they overnighted me a replacement Droid - it cost me $50 deductible, and at that time their premium was only five dollars per month. Not close to the $11.95 per month/$175.00 deductible they charge now for an iPhone5!!! :( :( :(

I have decided to drop my Asurian (I've only paid for the first month) and sign up for Applecare Plus by next Friday (only 30 days to do this). I'll take my chances on lost or theft - can it happen twice? I have to say I'm much more careful now after losing that Droid! But I do feel after all the input here that the $99 Applecare Plus gives the best bang for the buck - I do feel most comfortable working with Apple than sending in my phone to any of the other companies - I like not having to be without a phone for days or more. And being a tradesman I'm more apt to break or damage my phone than many others.

Off now to research "find my phone" and Google Latitude. I've no idea how either works, but until I get a reply here I'll check into it myself. Thanks again for stellar assistance here! :)

EDIT: Hmm, just now see ClemsonMarshal's answer - so ST does look attractive with 3 years, full refund and four "accidents". I'll have to think a bit more before next Friday on which to go with! Thanks ClemsonMarshal!
smile.png

Last edited:
I went with Asurion and I pay 9.99 with a 169.00 deductible. I didn't know Apple care didn't cover lost or theft.

What about the one that is one of the Forums vendors. I want to say Ensquared or something like that. They seem amazingly inexpensive.

cuskit said:
Doesn't your phone have to be on for either Google Latitude or Find My Phone to work? What if the battery dies before you can locate it? I mean - you may not realize you've lost it for hours or more, and suppose the battery charge was already low? Questions only - looking for answers.. ;)

I can say that I did lose my Moto Droid once - fell asleep on a 2 hour train ride and woke up kinda drousy and got up from my seat and left the train in Penn Station NYC. I realized that I left the phone on the train seat several hours later - went back immediately but their "Lost & Found" would not be open until the next morning (this happened well after midnight). Called the next morning and no reports of a Droid turned in. So yea - I know what it's like to lose a phone.. :( Fortunately I did have Asurian for that and they overnighted me a replacement Droid - it cost me $50 deductible, and at that time their premium was only five dollars per month. Not close to the $11.95 per month/$175.00 deductible they charge now for an iPhone5!!! :( :( :(

I have decided to drop my Asurian (I've only paid for the first month) and sign up for Applecare Plus by next Friday (only 30 days to do this). I'll take my chances on lost or theft - can it happen twice? I have to say I'm much more careful now after losing that Droid! But I do feel after all the input here that the $99 Applecare Plus gives the best bang for the buck - I do feel most comfortable working with Apple than sending in my phone to any of the other companies - I like not having to be without a phone for days or more. And being a tradesman I'm more apt to break or damage my phone than many others.

Off now to research "find my phone" and Google Latitude. I've no idea how either works, but until I get a reply here I'll check into it myself. Thanks again for stellar assistance here! :)

EDIT: Hmm, just now see ClemsonMarshal's answer - so ST does look attractive with 3 years, full refund and four "accidents". I'll have to think a bit more before next Friday on which to go with! Thanks ClemsonMarshal!
Yes your iPhone does have to be on for either to work. But there's virtually not a day that goes by to where I don't look at my phone at least every 10 minutes or more for one thing or another. So it wouldn't take me but just a short little while to realize it was lost or stolen.

Also, if anyone is interested in the jailbreak features, there's another app called Cylay that's very similar to Find My iPhone. However it has way more features. It allows you to lock the phone with a temporary lock code, disable the phone from being powered off (for thefts) so that it can be tracked, and it also lets you take a picture from the front or rear camera. And that's just the features I can remember. It's definitely an app worth owning if you're jailbroken.