What's new

Apple Announces New iPhone SE

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iphone-se-specs-pic.jpg

As expected, Apple has today announced its brand new 4-inch iPhone, the iPhone SE, at its official event at Apple headquarters in California. For the iPhone SE presentation, Apple CEO Tim Cook handed over to Apple’s head of iPhone marketing, Greg Joswiak, who began by saying how popular smaller iPhones are with Apple customers, adding that Apple sold over 30 million 4-inch iPhones in 2015. Joswiak explained that there are two reasons why smaller iPhones are still so popular: because people like using smaller phones, simple as that, and because it is their first Apple phone. In China, the majority of customers who buy 4-inch iPhones are on their first iPhone. “Some people pleaded with us,” said Joswiak of the customer demand for more 4-inch iPhones, and so Apple was happy to oblige with the new iPhone SE.

As far as the new phone’s specs are concerned, it sounds like pretty much every rumour we’ve been telling you about over the past few months was true! This will be the most powerful 4-inch phone ever, with a 64-bit A9 chip and an M9 motion co-processor, giving it the same processing performance as the iPhone 6s. It will also have the same GPU as the iPhone 6s, and the M9 motion co-processor is always on for Hey Siri. Other improvements include battery improvements across the board.

Also very much as predicted, the new phone will have a12MP iSight camera with focus pixels and true tone flash, and the front-facing camera has also been improved to make for better selfies! The iPhone SE camera can also capture 4K video, again proving recent rumours correct.

Other additions include Apple Pay, and high-speed Wi-Fi and LTE up to 150 Mbps.

As far as price is concerned, you can expect to pay $399 for the 16GB version (making it Apple’s most affordable new iPhone ever) and $499 for the 64GB model. The iPhone SE is available free on a 2-year contract, or $17 per month if you prefer to pay in instalments without a contract. Pre-orders begin on March 24 prior to the March 31 release date. Here are all the official details straight from Apple:

— iPhone SE will be available in space gray, silver, gold and rose gold metallic finishes in 16GB and 64GB models starting at $399 (US) from Apple’s retail stores, Apple.com, Apple Authorized Resellers and select carriers, or for 24 monthly payments starting at $17 (US) exclusively at Apple’s retail stores in the US.** As part of the newly-announced Trade Up with Installments program at Apple stores in the US, customers can also purchase iPhone SE for as low as $10/month for 24 months.***

— Customers in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore, the UK, US Virgin Islands and the US will be able to order iPhone SE beginning Thursday, March 24, with availability beginning Thursday, March 31.

— iPhone SE will be available in early April in Albania, Andorra, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Guernsey, Jersey, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Kosovo, Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Maldives, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey and UAE.

— Apple-designed accessories including leather cases in black and midnight blue will be available for $39 (US), and Lightning® Docks in color-matched metallic finishes are currently available from Apple’s retail stores and Apple.com for $49 (US).

– Every customer who buys iPhone SE from Apple will be offered free Personal Setup, in-store or online, to help them customize their iPhone by setting up email, showing them new apps from the App Store® and more.

– Anyone who wants to learn more about iPhone SE or iOS 9 can register for the free workshops offered at every Apple Store®.

Last edited:
For anyone wanting a smaller iPhone, they're not going to have to sacrifice anything in terms of performance vs the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus.

I don't want to be a boob here, but I wished for a 4-inch iPhone when the iPhone 6 came out, but since switching to the larger display, I've gotten used to it. I feel like the larger display was Apple's way of saying "welcome the future, it's better over here." But now they're living a bit too much in the past. Am I alone on this?

I don't want to be a boob here, but I wished for a 4-inch iPhone when the iPhone 6 came out, but since switching to the larger display, I've gotten used to it. I feel like the larger display was Apple's way of saying "welcome the future, it's better over here." But now they're living a bit too much in the past. Am I alone on this?
I know what you mean. I have always thought that big phones weren't for me until I got a Nexus 6P. I thought that 5" displays was the ideal size but now I prefer bigger screens.

I know what you mean. I have always thought that big phones weren't for me until I got a Nexus 6P. I thought that 5" displays was the ideal size but now I prefer bigger screens.
I don't think I know anyone who was unhappy with a larger screen size once they actually bit the bullet to purchase one.

I agree- but considering a lot of people still own iPhone 5 variants this will be a great time for them to upgrade

I got a 6 when it first came out and can honestly say I haven't really liked it at all. It's just a little too big and clumsy for my small hands and the needs I have for a smartphone. I look forward to getting a smaller smartphone again.

But to be fair, I don't watch videos, I don't play games, I don't shoot video and rarely take pictures worth saving with it. I use it for phone, text, email and playing music only. That's pretty much all mine is used for. I guess I'm one of those old guys that doesn't need a be-all-end-all device. :)