What's new

App for "Facetiming" with non iP4 users

rynorod32

Reaction score
My Brother has an EVO 4G. We'd like to video talk but i'm having a hard time looking for an app that would work between my IP4 and his EVO. Anyone know of any out there worth a try?

Yep!! Theres an app called "fring". You can do video calls with non-iphones And you can have video calls on 3g too!! Ive never tried it so i dont know how good it is

Yep!! Theres an app called "fring". You can do video calls with non-iphones And you can have video calls on 3g too!! Ive never tried it so i dont know how good it is

Thanks. Just installed it and it worked like a charm. Quality was good but of course it's dependent on your wifi/3G quality. Thank you ;).

Thanks. Just installed it and it worked like a charm. Quality was good but of course it's dependent on your wifi/3G quality. Thank you ;).
hey, thank you for this post, but i was wondering can you briefly describe how you proceed with face-time versus fring?

i have a fring account on my HTC Hero for my gf, and I have an iphone4.
but i'm not quite sure how do i link these two.

Iphone 4 facetime through iphone user's telephone number, not account name.
Fring on the other hand has accont name, not telephone number. I'm a little confused how this is to be proceeded.

Thanks.

B'regards.
Tclmac

facetime already works with non ip4 devices, i have used mine on plenty of non ip4 devices and it worked just fine

sorry, my question wasn't about whether it would work or not, my question was...

how do you make it work? facetime doesn't have user name and password, it just dials number to another phone, and choose facetime option, no?

how does facetime interact with other software? anyone care to help out? thanks a lot.

+1

Works with most smart phones. It syncs with your contact list so its just like choosing a number out of your phonebook only you hit the tango app instead of your phones app. As soon as you download it the app checks your contacts so see if they have tango installed also. Works over 3g and wifi, its free (except what your provider my charge if you use 3g) and there's no sign up required. What more could you ask for?

I downloaded the Fring app and registered. When I attempted a call, it says: "Operator voice fees apply for all regular cellular calls. Continue?

I don't care to pay more for a call that should be free.

Been using Fring since I got my iP4. A good alternative for those who need to video call someone not on iP4 and it works over 3G. To those wanted to use Fring, here are some points based on my experience with it:

1. Fring will populate your Buddy List with your iP4 contacts.
2. It is best if the person you wanted to voice/vid call also have Fring installed on their devices. If they do not, then Fring will do a normal cellular call (voice only) to them.
3. Fring will search your phone contact for existing fring users. This can be turn off if you want in manage add-ons (address book). Alternatively you can search by User ID (often time faster).
3. No, it cannot video call those without Fring unlike your Nokia etc.
3. If you're on wifi, then the call is "free" but on 3G you still have to pay for your data usage to your telcos, hence the 'warning'. (if you're on unlimited data plan, good on you).
4. Quality varies with connection speed on both sides.
5. The vid call will be "windowed" unlike Facetime.

Tango is your other alternative until Steve Job stops believing everyone on the planet is or will be on iPhone and enable Facetime to call non-iPhone users and work over 3G.

Cheers

here is another question...

so... facetime is completely free, using wi-fi solution to communicate over internet.
still... in the phone, it acquires "phone" number to "Dial"...

if i have an iphone4 user in singapore, while I'm in taiwan...
do i input the number with country-code? i haven't dared to try it, for the fear of actual international phone call might get through, creating a lump-sum of telephone bill.

might sound silly... but i'm just being cynical...
has anyone made facetime phone call over international ground?

tks.

tclmac

here is another question...

so... facetime is completely free, using wi-fi solution to communicate over internet.
still... in the phone, it acquires "phone" number to "Dial"...

if i have an iphone4 user in singapore, while I'm in taiwan...
do i input the number with country-code? i haven't dared to try it, for the fear of actual international phone call might get through, creating a lump-sum of telephone bill.

might sound silly... but i'm just being cynical...
has anyone made facetime phone call over international ground?

tks.

tclmac

I use it to the UK all the time just hit the facetime button on the contact!