What's new

App data not restoring

Robert_H90

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently purchased an iPhone 7 and have transferred all my purchases from my iPhone 6 and then backed it up via iTunes. I then plugged in the iPhone 7 and clicked restore from backup. It has restored my contacts, messages, photos and all of my apps however not all of the apps have had their data restored. Only a few have them have not worked and I can't understand why some would have their documents/data but some wouldn't. I have tried the restore from backup several times but get the same result. I can live without a few of them having the data and having to start over but not The Simpsons Tapped Out which when I first open it on my new phone does have all the data but when I close it and then re-open it it's all gone. I really need this to work as I have played on it for a few years, wouldn't be able to get some of the content back due to events being over and have spent some money on it.

I've never had a problem with restoring from backup so I can't figure out why it isn't working properly now. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Robert_H90!

It's up to the developer whether or not their app's data are included in a backup to iTunes or iCloud.
If the backup to iTunes didn't contain the them, try backing up to iCloud, and restore from that backup.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Robert_H90!

It's up to the developer whether or not their app's data are included in a backup to iTunes or iCloud.
If the backup to iTunes didn't contain the them, try backing up to iCloud, and restore from that backup.
I've done it before and all of the apps have backed up and restored correctly so unsure why it isn't this time. I'll try doing it via iCloud.

Thanks.

Did you encrypt your iTunes backup when the data were transferred to the new devices?

Did you encrypt your iTunes backup when the data were transferred to the new devices?
No, I didn't. As I say I've done restoring from backups several times in the past and had no issues so I just did it the same as I have done previously but I'll try encrypting it as well to see if that works.

FYI - I've restored from backups in the past with certain apps that don't restore the app data.

Minecraft PE being one of those that doesn't backup the app data no matter how you restore. I'm sure there's a few others too. Hope this helps.

Last edited: