What's new

Amatuer help with 3GS! Jbreak + update

kos

Reaction score
Hi peeps need a lil help I'm horrible with tech etc can build up an engine but ain't got a clue about software updates etc

I've basically had my 3GS few years just now I've just got a message from my whatsapp saying my phone is too old as it's still running 4.0 version. It's been jailbroken and I've got all my apps etc which I've downloaded some time ago

I need whatsapp so I'm going to have to dive in and update, q is I've never done it before, is it simply plugging into the comp iTunes and update to latest version?

Will I loose all my pics, apps, whatsapp messages if I update it?

Any help much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi peeps need a lil help I'm horrible with tech etc can build up an engine but ain't got a clue about software updates etc

I've basically had my 3GS few years just now I've just got a message from my whatsapp saying my phone is too old as it's still running 4.0 version. It's been jailbroken and I've got all my apps etc which I've downloaded some time ago

I need whatsapp so I'm going to have to dive in and update, q is I've never done it before, is it simply plugging into the comp iTunes and update to latest version?

Will I loose all my pics, apps, whatsapp messages if I update it?

Any help much appreciated

You would need to perform a backup first. Manually back it up, don't rely on the back up when plugging in your iPhone to your computer. As for WhatsApp messages, you'll need to manually extract those using FTP or rooting through USB like iExplorer or iFunBox. Then you can restore using iTunes. it's recommended that you use DFU mode to do so.

Sent via my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:
willerz2 said:
You would need to perform a backup first. Manually back it up, don't rely on the back up when plugging in your iPhone to your computer. As for WhatsApp messages, you'll need to manually extract those using FTP or rooting through USB like iExplorer or iFunBox. Then you can restore using iTunes. it's recommended that you use DFU mode to do so.

Sent via my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I thought that since it synced with itunes, the whatsapp files also backed up?
Correct me if im wrong.

alifkm2 said:
I thought that since it synced with itunes, the whatsapp files also backed up?
Correct me if im wrong.

I agree.... Whats the point of backing up your iDevice with iTunes, to then use another method to save messages....

iTunes backup done properly should "backup" everything.....?

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net