What's new

Alarms and Sleep

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
I need to set an alarm for early tomorrow morning. I always put my mobile on sleep once I retire at night. I do not want to be awoken by calls or emails during the night. So, if I put my mobile on sleep tonight as usual, can I still set an alarm and hear it in the morning?? I hope that question makes sense! (LOL)

As long as the iPhone is turned on, the alarm will sound. Once you turn it off, you won‘t hear an alarm.

You mean if the phone is on sleep, I will not hear an alarm set for say 7 a.m.?

The alarm will not sound when you turn off your device completely. If it‘s turned on and locked, you will hear the alarm.

Use the “Do not disturb” feature, phone will stay silent except for Alarms!

Thank you, Mark1112. That is exactly what I want to happen. :)

Now, if only I could get Bluetooth to stay off. I have turned it off from that same place where is the "Do not disturb" moon, and also inside of settings, but it still keeps coming on every day, and it is draining my battery like mad! :mad:

Thank you, Mark1112. That is exactly what I want to happen. :)

Now, if only I could get Bluetooth to stay off. I have turned it off from that same place where is the "Do not disturb" moon, and also inside of settings, but it still keeps coming on every day, and it is draining my battery like mad! :mad:
If you change or turn off Bluetooth from the control center screen, it is only done for the day. If you want Bluetooth off unless you want it on or for longer than 24 hrs, you must go to Settings>Bluetooth and turn it off there.

Hi bear7926. Yes, that is what I ended up doing, and it seems to stay off now. I would have preferred to do it only once on my pull up menu on the bottom of the phone. Those selections are like shortcuts so you do not have to wander into settings for something like having WiFi or Aeroplane Mode, or Bluetooth turned off and on. I prefer it that way myself.

What I do not understand is why Apple would set up the OS to keep turning bluetooth on in the first place. Not everyone uses bluetooth devices. I for one do not use them, and I do not personally know anyone who uses them. I am not even sure what they are. Why presume all users need or want bluetooth turned on everyday? Even for those people who do use bluetooth, it does not necessarily follow that they will use bluetooth every day and thus drain their batteries faster because of it.

I do not like the changes in this new OS. It has made for more work, more confusion, and more frustration for me. I also notice that my battery runs down a lot faster now, which is never a plus.

I can only speak for myself, but personally, I am worried about Apple. For example, Apple's once superior tech support seems to be going the way of Windows/Microsoft tech support. Microsoft used to have great tech support, too, until they changed it.

I recall phoning Microsoft tech support about a problem occasionally and very seldom ever having to speak to more than the first person who answered the call. Then, as time passed, they implemented a terrible tier of support, and you could not get around it. At that point, every time I phoned for help with something, I had to go through the entire thing with one person who usually could not help me, and then they would transfer me to a level two tech, and I would go through it all again, and usually the level two tech was of no help either, and I would have to be transferred again. I often ended up speaking to 5 or more different techs and phoning back about the same problem over and over again. It was exhausting and frustrating in the extreme, and it was one of the main reasons why I switched to Mac. I was sick and tired of their "service paks" and poor support that ate up enormous amounts of my time. I was sick of Microsoft blaming the computer maker for the problem, and the computer maker blaming Microsoft, and eventually both of them blaming my innocent ISP! I felt like a ping pong ball being batted around from one to the other all of the time.

With Mac, I had far, far fewer problems that required me to contact tech support, but if I did have to contact tech support, I was usually put out of my misery so to speak by the first tech to whom I spoke, and it was usually done within a very few minutes---none of that being on the phone literally for hours sometimes as had done with Microsoft tech support. Now, Apple seems to be going in the same direction with tech support. I have to ask myself, why?

I am speculating here, but my guess is the reason is money. (Is it not always?) They hire fewer highly trained and experienced techs and more less experienced techs to try to handle technical problems for a lower cost. In other words, using random numbers here, why pay 50 top techs $25 an hour if they can pay less experienced techs who "hopefully" can solve customer tech problems at only $15 an hour? I do not like it. What used to make Apple great and completely distinguish it from Microsoft, such as its tech support, seems to be changing and not for the better.

Anyway, these are my thoughts on the newest OS and tech support. Please feel free to disagree if you disagree. I do not claim to be infallible, but this is how it looks to me.

That is how the buttons in the control center have always worked. It is meant as a quick fix, not a replacement for using Settings for your personal set-up. Most people like the ease of instant Bluetooth or WiFi as is the default settings and if they do not, just turn the function off.
If you are noticing battery drain, go I to settings and check to see what is causing the drain and shut that down. And also remember that it takes a few days of running to “populate” your iPhone before everything settles down after a new IOS is downloaded.
I don’t think Apple is trying to cut costs by paying fewer techs less money. On the Customer Service side, it’s covered by AppleCare payments. On the programming side, it would be foolish as it affects the core of the product. I have rarely had a reason to contact support after I initially set my first iPhone up. It has been because of damage I caused by dropping or the need to replace a battery. This is pretty much the same for my friends with iPhones.
Excessive battery drain that couldn’t be solved by shutting down rogue apps might be a sign your battery needs to be tested and perhaps replaced. They can check this remotely through the Apple Support app or at the Apple Store. Sorry your experience is not the same.

Thanks, bear7962. I will have to spend more time looking into it I guess.