What's new

Advice for erase and sync (Backup/Restore)

eaglebrewing

Reaction score
Hello.
I have some concerns with the backup/restore with my iPhone

Sometimes, it is difficult to find an answer that fits your problem exactly on the forum! Lots of good stuff though!
This post will be little longer than normal, but I need to get all the facts on the table.
I'll try to keep this brief. Please hear me out!

From another post on discussions.apple.com ...
https://discussions.apple.com/message/12273122

Kwopau stated ...
if you do a restore, you only have 2 options, Restore as new, meaning nothing will go on it
and you will just have to start fresh and no contacts will go in there.
The other option is "Restore from Back up _______" it will completely restore your phone
from your last back up and everything will be on there.

End of quote ...

Here is my situation.
I have a 3g 16GB iPhone.
I am still running IOS 3 (not IOS 4).
I do not use sync. I manually manage the music and books with iTunes.
I have an HP laptop.
A while ago, I had to completely rebuild the computer.
The computer has a new computer and user name (I don't know if this matters in iTune/iPhone matchup)?
I have not been able to connect the iPhone since then.

Let me rephrase that.
I can connect with iTunes. I can see all that is on the iPhone.
When I try to add or delete music or books on the iPhone with iTunes or set the manually manage check box, I get the following message ...

The iPhone "myname's iPhone" is synced with another iTunes library.
Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with the this iTunes library.

Most commands appear to be grayed out, I can't add or delete anything.
I do not have anything in current iTunes library at the moment.

My fear is this.

If I do the erase and sync as suggested (iPhone message above) to the iPhone and then use the new iTunes library, will I be able to use the backup (I just created) to restore to the iPhone that I just reset?
If so, will it have contacts and all the other stuff?

I can afford to lose the music and books, and perhaps the apps on the iPhone.
I cannot afford to lose my contact list.
I need to find another way to backup the contact list, Outlook, etc?
If there other posts relative to this, please point me to them.
I am afraid to pull the trigger for fear that iTunes will not recognize the iPhone after the erase and sync and then not allow me to restore.
Perhaps someone can put my mind at ease and convince me that it will all be good if I proceed!
Thanks for you time and help in this matter ...
And again, I apologize for the length of this post ...

Bob

Hello. Let me try to answer your question the best i can.
The fact that you rebuild your computer is normal that itunes will not recongnize your phone anymore as all itunes files which helps to recongnize your phone are gone. So far as you are not afraid to lose your song then there is no troubles for you. You can either chose to backup first your device into tge computer, make a right click on your phone in the left panel of your itunes, there will be a drop list, in that drop list, chose "backup" this will backup your entire phone into your computer. But the exact same thing you are having on your device now will be restore on your phone the day you will decide to restore that backup. You can also chose to pass the backup and start sincying new song and and books to the phone, i beleive that itune will preserve your contacts and your sms the first time you will want to sync your device. itunes understand that contacts and sms in your phone are very important and you might not be able to recover them if he remove them so no worries. Go ahead and perform a backup ib itunes first, to be on the safest side. Then sync whatever u want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your comments, bab2010.

I'd like to hear from a few more folks, if I could.
I want to be absolutely certain I will not lose my contacts with I forge ahead and let iTunes do things.
I just don't trust it!
I'm sure it will work, just want to hear from other experiences in this area.
Thanks ...
Bob