What's new

Adding a contact from the message app.

roj

Reaction score
I'm having difficulty adding a contact who texts me. Only +1 (area code) and the first three digits of the number show up on the message screen. I have no way of seeing the entire number, and there is no "add contact" option in the edit function.

Anyone?

I'm having difficulty adding a contact who texts me. Only +1 (area code) and the first three digits of the number show up on the message screen. I have no way of seeing the entire number, and there is no "add contact" option in the edit function.

Anyone?

Yes. Go on line and see what the rest of the number is. Or return the text and ask for a whole number.

Thanks, both of you for your reply. Neither answers my question though.

Go online? Text the person back and ask their number? This is supposed to be a "smart" phone.
If you call me and leave a message, I can enter you as a contact. Why should a text be different?

And I tried the "tap the arrow" thing and I'm just not seeing any function that allows me to view the entire number from whence the texts is originating. Nor can I see an option to create a contact using that partial number.

You do realise that people including you can put what ever they want as their caller I D number, including nothing at all.
Does not matter how "smart" the phone is if the information being sent to it is incorrect or insufficient.
If it is only one or two contacts you are stressing over then Hooks suggestions might be your best bet.
And if I call you and leave a message you can only add me as a contact if I have chosen to let you see my caller I D. So no, a text is not different

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you all will go back and re-read my initial post, I'm talking about TEXTING, not someone calling and leaving a message.

And the app for TEXT messages on the home screen is called "Messages".

So, yes. If someone CALLS me, then the number show up and can be entered into Contacts.

If they TEXT me, I only get a partial number, and no option to add that text to Contacts.

That's T-E-X-T messages, ya'll.

Anyone?

Scroll the SMS conversation back to the very top till it rubber bands and snaps back. You will notice a new set of buttons now. Just below EDIT will be "Add Contact" if the number or email isn't already listed in Contacts. If the person is already in your Contacts then the button will show "Contact >".

Been like that for at least 5 versions of iOS now.

Thanks, both of you for your reply. Neither answers my question though.

Go online? Text the person back and ask their number? This is supposed to be a "smart" phone.
If you call me and leave a message, I can enter you as a contact. Why should a text be different?

And I tried the "tap the arrow" thing and I'm just not seeing any function that allows me to view the entire number from whence the texts is originating. Nor can I see an option to create a contact using that partial number.
You asked
I replied