What's new

Activation of new phone and account notification

xrayeyes

Reaction score
I have a question about activation of a new phone bought from another vendor (ie Ebay or Apple) and how Verizon deals with the activation as it relates to the account.

My phone is on my husband's business account and he is very touchy about any upgrades or changes to the phones. It's not a business issue, it's a "tightwad" issue. :D
If I were to buy or exchange to an upgraded phone off Ebay or through Apple, and activate it, would Verizon "honor" the activation if my husband has a note on the account that "only he can make changes"? I would not be buying the phone on the business account, only changing the activation account. How does activation work through a carrier when you buy it from another source?

I have read that Apple is considering exchanges and if that is the case, I will try to exchange my iPhone 4 for the new iPhone when it comes out in the fall. If Apple chooses not to exchange after all, hubby and I may be in for some "discussions" about me getting a new phone this fall!

And please...no comments on hubby! LOL!

I'd have the discussions right now, and try to land a new iPhone 5. Steering clear of hubby, I'd just say I feel your pain. I'm in dread of the rumours that Apple may release a cheaper range of iPhones about the time my contract is up for renewal, since wifey will take some persuading that the cheapest thing available is not the best way to go. I'm torn between the iPhone 5 (or it's eventual replacement), 64GB, naturally, or the Samsung Galaxy.

To answer your question, as best I can, and being in a similar position myself, I would suggest that only the account holder may make substitutions and changes. My wife is our account holder, simply because she had a phone before I did, and we just added my phone to her account. The phone company won't even talk to me, which is kinda funny, because the bill is paid from my Visa account, and Visa won't talk to her. Nuts, eh?

He will probably acquiesce in the end if it's a trade or it's cheap but it will take some convincing. I was just curious what happens when u activate a phone through apple instead of thr carrier when u already have a Verizon account?

I don't advocate lying to a spouse but sometimes little white lies or lies of omission make life more peaceful in the household! Lol! :)

I don't advocate lying to a spouse but sometimes little white lies or lies of omission make life more peaceful in the household! Lol! :)

I'll bear that in mind. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, I wouldn't buy an iPhone from eBay, if you are likely to catch flak for making a mistake. While you might get a bargain, you could also end up getting ripped off. To my mind, the few dollars you could save is simply not worth the potential hassle. Have a look at the Apple site for refurbished equipment. There are bargains to be had without risk.