What's new

Accessing the system files

SomeDude

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

How does one access the System files on the 3Gs? I'm trying to alter a few things in the text functions and need to start at the system level, but cannot find it, thanks.

SD

I would use Ifile. It is a great file manager for the iphone. Its a free download in cydia. Although it is a limited version. You must pay for full. What files are specifically looking to access?

Another vote for ifile. It's definitely worth the money, I use it daily.

Ok, I am attempting to copy the text bubbles into another folder on the computer so I can alter their color. Here is the PM that went back and forth between myself and another user here, who attempted to help me.

Greetings,

I'm going to attempt to alter the text bubbles on my 3Gs and I'm going to use the instructions you provided for me (Thank you again) but you listed something there, that I caanot find on the phone

NOTE: If you just want to modify the existing bubble, go to this location on your phone (/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Chatkit.framework) and copy those three PNG images for modding on your computer. Then you can keep the same files, but just change the color...
How do I find "System"? I looked in settings and couldn't find it, thanks again. Try to stay cool today.
If you are using iFile on the iPhone itself - when you first open iFile, look at the button on the top left. You want to keep pressing that button until it only shows the forward slash (/). Then, in the view, you should see the System folder and can navigate from there to the chat address.

If you are using iFunbox - with the phone connected, go to "Raw File System." After you click on that, You should see "System" a few folders down. Then, just keep clicking on the plus signs (+) until you get to the address.

If I may - again - give you a quick caution about modifying stock iPhone files. If you are going to change something, please make a back-up of the original. That way, if something doesn't work ... you can always put things back where you found them. Just a caution ...

Holler back if you can't find that System folder (a 3G/3GS iPhone may be different from a 4S).