What's new

Activation on a jailbroken device

cyclops365

Reaction score
Hi guys, n00b here...

I've recieved an iPhone 3GS from eBay seller which was jailbroken and running iOS 4.3.3 (I think).

My wife then plugged it into the computer on receiving it and updated it to the latest iOS 6.1.whatever and sillyly not unjailbroke first, causing the activation screen (what comes up after updating then restarting) to stick. Then coming back saying it cannot connect to the servers.

I've looked into this and downloaded a few 4.3.3 iOS's and struggling getting the ipsw file from the .dmg files that come up. I'm using redsn0w at the moment to try and fix this problem I'm having on the phone.

Does anyone have the file in question they can upload and I can get please? Or can help in any way in getting the ipsw file from the dmg files, thanks.

You can't downgrade to iOS 4.3.3 or any other iOS aside from 4.1 unless you have blobs for them saved so that you can use them to create a custom IPSW to restore or use RedSn0w's restore feature. Restoring using any device will result in the activation screen. You must have a valid working SIM from the original carrier of the device in order activate the device. Otherwise, you'll need to jailbreak + hacktivate it using RedSn0w then install UltraSn0w to keep the device from going back to the Activation Screen.

Thanks for the reply.

How exactly would I be able to use Hacktivate (or can you point me to a site that has clear instructions?)

Hacktivating is automatically incorporated into the jailbreaking process for the 3G, 3GS and 4 when using RedSn0w to jailbreak. Simply select the iOS IPSW that matches the iOS that's on your device (if you're on iOS 6.0-6.1.3, use the 6.0 IPSW regardless of which of the iOS 6 you're on). After jailbreaking (and booting tethered if applicable), your device will boot up in the lock screen. If you reboot or hard reset it immediately without installing UltraSn0w first, your device will go back to the Activation Screen.

Thanks

Where can I find the ipsw file though for 5.1.1 ? I have downloaded zip files and in it are .dmg files. What do I need to do with them please?

OK, now I have another problem, I've selected the IPSW file which is the same as the iOS on the Iphone and started a jailbreak. But now it's stuck on the Waiting for Reboot screen (on redsn0w) and the phone hasn't re-booted, been like this for 20 minutes now. Any thoughts?

You're using Internet Explorer to download them. Change the extension from zip to IPSW, then select it.....

Yep, got the IPSW from my Itunes folder on my PC,
just getting stuck when it says Waiting for reboot on redsn0w, nothing happens on the phone or redsn0w

Your device isn't on iOS 5.1.1, so you won't be able to use the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW since it doesn't match your device's iOS. The iOS must match the one on your device with the exception of 6.0-6.1.3 where you can only choose the 6.0. Without 5.1.1 blobs, you can't downgrade to 5.1.1, meaning you can't jailbreak it.

If your device is still on 6.1.3, download the iOS 6.0 IPSW for the iPhone 3GS. This link has all of them.

Run RedSn0w > Extras > Select IPSW. Point it to the 6.0 IPSW. If you're using Internet Explorer, rename the extension to .IPSW instead of .ZIP or .RAR.

Click Back, Click Jailbreak, DFU mode the device. In the menu of tickboxes, tick Install Cydia (should be ticked by default), Next. Once you're done, it'll say you need to boot tether. In RedSn0w, go to Extras > Select IPSW, point it to the 6.0 IPSW once again. Now click Just Boot, which should be the first option in RedSn0w > Extras (the screen you're on now). Put the 3GS into DFU mode and let it boot. You should now be on the lockscreen. Unlock the device, go to Cydia, install UltraSn0w to keep the device from going back into the activation screen.

Then I'd recommend paying several dollars for an IMEI unlock to permanently unlock it since you don't have viable iOS 6.0-6.1 blobs to downgrade to in order to fully use UltraSn0w.