What's new

Couldn't activate jailbroken 3gs after updating to 6.1

Easy Now

Reaction score
Yesterday I updated my jailbroken iPhone 3gs from iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 6.1 and now I am seeing this screen on iPhone, and iTunes is also sorry and unable to activate it:

The iOS 5.1.1 which was installed on the device before upgrading to iOS 6.1 was jailbroken by Sn0wbreeze in 2011.

Last edited:
Was it unlocked using UltraSn0w prior to your update?

What method did you use in updating to iOS 6.1?
I lost "Call" icon from my springboard and "Settings" icon from home page on jailbroken iOS 5.1.1. So I decided to go on iTunes and clicked "Restore", because I simply could not make any calls!...
Tunes restored and updated it to 6.1 but couldn't activate it.

So I decided to go on iTunes and clicked "Restore", because I simply could not make any calls!...
Tunes restored and updated it to 6.1 but couldn't activate it.
There's the problem... you were using ultrasn0w for your Unlock. And you're trying to activate it w/ a SIM that's not from the original wireless provider. Now that you've updated via iTunes your iPhone's baseband has been updated.

There's the problem... you were using ultrasn0w for your Unlock. And you're trying to activate it w/ a SIM that's not from the original wireless provider. Now that you've updated via iTunes your iPhone's baseband has been updated.
Thank you, Thomasjtsi, for these details.
So what should I do now to fix the activation error? Do I need an unlocking sim to pass thru activation?
I would be happy at least to get it working as an iPod :) like now it is just a brick with a screen.

You'll need to use the latest version of redsn0w or sn0wbreeze to Jailbreak and "hacktivate" your iPhone. Hactivation allows you to bypass then activation screen while Jailbreaking when you don't have the original wireless provider's SIM card.

You'll need to use the latest version of redsn0w or sn0wbreeze to Jailbreak and "hacktivate" your iPhone
Thank you, I am trying the latest sn0wbreeze right now. Yesterday I tried jailbreaking with evasi0n for iOS 6.1 and it said to me that my device is not activated and jailbreak is not possible. Hopefully sn0wbreeze or redsn0w will handle it. I will post an update in this thread later.

Thank you, I am trying the latest sn0wbreeze right now. Yesterday I tried jailbreaking with evasi0n for iOS 6.1 and it said to me that my device is not activated and jailbreak is not possible. Hopefully sn0wbreeze or redsn0w will handle it. I will post an update in this thread later.
At this point evasi0n is only a Jailbreak tool and doesn't offer any of the other perks like redsn0w and sn0wbreeze. Yes, please keep us updated.

Jailbreak tethered using redsn0w doesn't require activation then use iExplorer to remove setup.app in root/applications and then reboot using redsn0w download evasi0n untether from Cydia and also put it on the iPad baseband add the iParelhos repo and download Ultrasn0w fixer iOS 6 and then Ultrasn0w.

Do at your own risk.

Many thanks,
Software

Jailbreak tethered using redsn0w doesn't require activation then use iExplorer to remove setup.app in root/applications and then reboot using redsn0w download evasi0n untether from Cydia and also put it on the iPad baseband add the iParelhos repo and download Ultrasn0w fixer iOS 6 and then Ultrasn0w.
Yes... this is a smashed together version of what we're trying to accomplish. However, step by step in seperate posts as we go along is, more often than not, easier for people to understand. Thanks!

So, I used sn0wbreeze to hacktivate my device. Though I read it was successful, right now I am experiencing many problems with iphone productivity.
1) I can not use my local/domestic SIM card with the phone, even-though ultrasn0w fixer for 6.1 is installed.
2) I am having problems with wi-fi connection - breaking up all the time.
3) I am experiencing lagging with a response on my finder touch on the screen.
4) Geo locations services working not very well. Better say - not working, but appears "on" in settings.
Oh, and by the way, iTunes doesn't see the device, so I can't even upload my stuff on it....
There was no error during "installation" process, but anyway I will try to use sn0wbreeze once again. Right now I am erasing all content and setting on iPhone - I've already waited for 7 hours, and it is not finished yet...strange...but will give it more time and leave it "working" overnight and see what tomorrow brings me.
EraseiPhonebeforesell.gif

Last edited:
iPhone stuck on spinners. It couldn't erase itself.
So next I was trying evasi0n, hoping that jailbreaking will do any good. Jailbreaking proccess also stuck on the 1 step.
Now I am trying sn0wbreeze again. For some reason it created for me 2 .ipsw files:
iPhone2,1_6.1_10B141_Restore.ipsw
and sn0wbreeze_iPhone_3GS-6.1_10B141_oldbootrom.ipsw
which one should I chose for shift+restore in iTunes?

Put the device into DFU and restore.

After you're done restoring:

1) Run RedSn0w as an administrator

2) Click on Extras

3) Select IPSW and point it to the iOS 6.0 IPSW as in six point zero

4) Click Back, then Jailbreak

5) DFU your device

6) In the screen of tickboxes, tick "Install Cydia", "Deactivate". If you want to use UltraSn0w to unlock your device, tick "Install iPad Baseband" as well

7) Let it jailbreak.

8) Once you're done, open up Cydia, install UltraSn0w and the UltraSn0w Fixer for iOS 6 and reboot your device.

Restored > Jailbroke > Unlocked