What's new

SMS Backup

wilko3

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm new here so go easy...

I'm trying to access my 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28 file to backup my text messages. The problem i'm having is that the file does not have a file extension and so when i open it in sqlite browser the file appears to open but nothing is shown. I've tried renaming the file to 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28.mddata and all the other usual suggestions but nothing works.

I'm thinking that the file may be encrypted, even though i've turned this off in itunes, deleted the old backups, and then re-backed everything up.

Any ideas what the problem may be? I have an iphone 3gs with the latest iOS installed.

It's annoying me as i really need to access some of these messages for printing....dont ask!

Thanks for reading.

I have no idea what file you are trying to save, but whatever file that is is not how you backup your SMS.

The file you are looking for is called "sms.db"

That is the file you want.

This file is located in /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db

Just restore to sms.db to the same location after restore and your messages will be restored.

Hi zig9449

The file i'm referring to is the file that iTunes creates as a backup. The file you are referring to - is that the path to the file on the actual phone, as it doesn't look like a path to any location on Windows? I'm on W7.

Cheers

wilko3 said:
Hi zig9449

The file i'm referring to is the file that iTunes creates as a backup. The file you are referring to - is that the path to the file on the actual phone, as it doesn't look like a path to any location on Windows? I'm on W7.

Cheers

Yeah me to. It is pretty much impossible to extract a thing from an iTunes backup. You can, but you need to pay for some stupid expensive program.

You can try to use iTunes backup.......buy good luck with that. They are made *specifically* so that data *cannot* be extracted.

Why do it the hard way when you don't have to. Must be jailbroken to do things the easy way tho as usual.

Nah, jailbroke it before and now it's been updated i dont know how to do it. Anyway, i'd like to know why i cant get into the database with sqlite.

Any ideas?

wilko3 said:
Nah, jailbroke it before and now it's been updated i dont know how to do it. Anyway, i'd like to know why i cant get into the database with sqlite.

Any ideas?

Do you know how to read xCode?

Are you still trying it the hard way? i.e: iPhone backups?

And you have found the backup file already?

I'd

If so, you will have to open the SQlite in an SQlite editor.

Alternatively...look at this I guess:
www.iphonebackupextractor.com/help-how to-and-support/

Either way, without a jailbreak ya got a lot of fiddling to do.

Last edited:
Cheers zig9449 but the link takes me to something that isn't there anymore.

I need to get a conversation from one person printed out for court. It's really important to me and so i hope someone can help.

Thanks

Cheers zig9449 but the link takes me to something that isn't there anymore.

I need to get a conversation from one person printed out for court. It's really important to me and so i hope someone can help.

Thanks

I'm workin on it wilko

Or try iBackupBot .....i believe you can use it on a trial basis first...? not 100%