What's new

Absinthe 2.0.2 has been released windows/osx and linux versions!

In Cydia there is a link that says more sources, but you must be weary to 3rd party sources you take the risk of
fudging your phone or having security leaks, so becareful and look up reviews on who is a reputable source.

Thanks yeah I used to do that with my android devices as well. I guess I am stuck waiting for cydia to catch up so that I can use it.

To this of you experiencing errors while trying to jailbreak, restore your device from iTunes and then run Absinthe 2.0 and you should be good to go. Enjoy!

Ok cydia has now updated and u should see more now, example: Mywi 5.0 is now available.

Just close cydia and reopen it, do this a few times it will eventually load all the goodies.

Just go into section after forget about third party sources unless u want to risk security or what have you, i stay in the sections and look for stuff and google it and then decide if i want it, just remember if what u intstall so u can figure out any issues later on.

Last edited:
for people having problems with the jailbreak this work for me,

c/p

RESTORE FROM SCRATCH WITH AN ALL-NEW-FRESH iOS 5.1.1 (simply reseting "Contents and Settings" is NOT enough for some iPhones)
SET UP AS NEW iPHONE
DO NOT SETUP YOUR WLAN CONNECTION
WAIT FOR SUCCESFUL ACTIVATION-MESSAGE in iTUNES WINDOW saying something like: "your iPhone is activated.... "
THEN and ONLY then PERFORM JAILBREAK

it worked for me!!!

Those of you already on a tethered jailbreak... you tried it before and bad news? what you mean?
No. Even "untethered" people can never use "Erase All Contents and Settings" - they must do a full restore with iTunes first and then jailbreak Erase All Contents and Settings doesn't work for previously untethered JBken phones. It will freeze your phone in an endless loop for hours.

Okay thanks. I was begining to think that something went wrong. Have another noob question...... now that I am jailbroken other than Cydia is there another source for apps or is that it? (besides the app store of course). I am sorry to sound so green. I am used to Android and with that once you are rooted you can get a multitude of apps from other sources outside of google so I am curious if that is the same with the iPhone.

No, nothing went wrong but for now its not going to be so easy to load or download anything, I myself have the same problem while trying to update cydia so I am not going to try again until later.

No need to apologise, am glad to help in any way. Cydia pretty much has most of the repos that are worth having added to cydia so you will find that 99% of apps/tweaks you need are already added but if you do add some repos then be careful of what you add and if you are un sure then ask here and we will tell you if it is safe or not as some times there will be a new theme or tweak and you will have to add a 3rd party repo in order to get it

c/p

RESTORE FROM SCRATCH WITH AN ALL-NEW-FRESH iOS 5.1.1 (simply reseting "Contents and Settings" is NOT enough for some iPhones)
SET UP AS NEW iPHONE
DO NOT SETUP YOUR WLAN CONNECTION
WAIT FOR SUCCESFUL ACTIVATION-MESSAGE in iTUNES WINDOW saying something like: "your iPhone is activated.... "
THEN and ONLY then PERFORM JAILBREAK

it worked for me!!!

This worked for me on a verizon iPhone 4. Thanks a ton ztorque!!!!! and thank you so much to the dev community and absinthe, great job on the new jailbreak guys!!!

any tutorials on how to use cydia? (im a first time jailbreaker)

c/p

restore from scratch with an all-new-fresh ios 5.1.1 (simply reseting "contents and settings" is not enough for some iphones)
set up as new iphone
do not setup your wlan connection
wait for succesful activation-message in itunes window saying something like: "your iphone is activated.... "
then and only then perform jailbreak

it worked for me!!!

this worked for me...

i keep getting a 3194 error while trying to restore..any ideas??>

disregard..i fixed this.

Tried to JB my ipad 2 but Absinthe 2.0 said " device connected not supported" ? I read the text note , it said iPad 2 WiFi R2 device not supported . How do I know what model mine is ?

Download went great for me although can't download anything from cydia.

Last edited:
Tried to JB my ipad 2 but Absinthe 2.0 said " device connected not supported" ? I read the text note , it said iPad 2 WiFi R2 device not supported . How do I know what model mine is ?

There is a FREE program called Linpack that will tell you. After you run the program look at the first line of text. Mine says: iPhone 2,1 / 1 core / 600 MHz. The phone is actually an iPhone 3GS.

You might want to check out this article as it offers much more info to identify your iPhone/iPad: Buying an iPad 2? Here's the rarer, more efficient specimen you need to (somehow) track down -- Engadget

$ipad1.jpg