What's new

A few questions

crashin

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not new to the forum, but am new as a registered user. I tried searching around but couldn't answer my own question, apologies if I did not look well enough.

I have an iPhone 4s.

OTA... does that just mean updating via iphones settings? I've been updating via itunes but just from the "upgrade" pop-up msg not through "restore iPhone" button which takes a lot of data on my limited data plan..

I got the blobs saved for 6.0, 6.01, and 6.1 that I used redsn0w to do but if I needed to upgrade via the restore iphone guess they aren't much use.

Also, at this time is there any use for the 6.x blobs? Am I able to go factory settings from 6.01 to 6.01 via the new redsn0w atm?

Thank you

OTA = Over The Air, which is the process of upgrading your iOS through the Settings.app. The reason why this method is not particularly favored, especially on jailbroken or about-to-be-jailbroken devices is that it does not provide you with the proper APTickets for restoration. There are 2 keys to restoring since iOS 5, the necessity of SHSH Blobs and APTickets. In a way, they're the same thing, yet different. Both are signatures from Apple, but SHSH Blobs are unique to device on each iOS, whereas APTickets is unique to each device on an iOS's unique restore. If you OTA update, your APTickets won't be there or will be different from what's usable.

But in general, we recommend that our users restore using iTunes so that we have a clean start without any potential for immediate problems after OTA updating :)

Thank you for the information, I was doing it correctly then. :)

To the second question: am I able to go to factory settings from 6.01 to 6.01 with blobs currently? Or 6.1 after it's no longer the newest one.. in case I need to restore it at some point. :p

I saw where you could from 5.x on redsn0w's website but it didn't mention the 6.x

RedSn0w only supports the re-restore for iOS 5 because there's a restore exploit that the Dev Team found. If you're above the iOS 5 threshold, unfortunately you can't re-restore. The only thing you can do is upgrade to the latest version, which is iOS 6.1. It might be a good thing. Some users are saying that there's better battery life on 6.1, and if you're looking to jailbreak, every iOS 6 is jailbreakable at this point.

Ah..

I was just curious in case in the future I have to go back to factory settings and the newest version won't be jb-able. :(

So what is the point of the blobs then on the 4S on 6,x, future updates?

Last edited:
The possibility of the re-restore feature on iOS 6 as well.