What's new

A few questions about 6S and 7

DallasFan

Reaction score
First time poster here.............

I currently have a Nexus 5.

It's about 2.5 years old and it's time for an upgrade.

I have it narrowed down to a 6S or a 7.

I have heard a lot of things that have not been so flattering about the 7 and the 6S seems like it would fit my needs just well.

Most of my phone use is for talking, texting and searching a few things on the net.

I only take pics 3,4 times a year.

But I wanted 32GB of memory and the 6S is standard with 16. I have to pay another $100 to get 64GB there is not 32 option.

But the 6S is $549 and the extra $100 would make it the same price as the new 7 at $649.

Plus I would get a faster processor water resistance and a better camera. Even though the camera is not important and neither is the extra 32GB.

My current camera has 16GB of storage and it's only about half used.

A few questions here........
My Nexus5 has a screen resolution of 1080x1920 @ 445 ppi.
Why does the 6S and the 7 only have a resolution of 750x1334 @ 326 ppi. ?
It seems like the Apples would be superior to a mid range Android that is 2.5 years old.
Or are the resolution numbers and the pixels not a straightforward measurement?

I read that the curved screen on the 7 makes it hard to find a phone cover that fits correctly.
Does anyone have any recommendations for the 6S or the 7?

Is it correct to say that when Apple updates its software it does it across the board for all of its phones at one time?

Is the new 7 dramatically faster than the 6S with the new chip?

What is so special about the fingerprint thing....is that for security so you log in with your fingerprint?

I'll keep it for at least 2 years so I want to make sure I am happy with it...

Thanks.....

Hi @DallasFan and welcome to the forum.

Couple of questions.

Why have you narrowed it down to phones that have a different operating system to that which you are used to?

What have you heard that is not so flattering about the iPhone 7, and why are you still considering one if that is the case?

Why are you looking at top of the line phones if your usage is likely to be limited to talk, text and a bit of browsing?

Now, to answer your points as best as I'm able.

The 6s comes in 2 storage sizes, 32Gb and 128GB, so the cheaper one meets your requirement.

For the usage you indicate, any current phone from any manufacturer would serve your purposes, including some that are much cheaper than any iPhone, or even free with a contract.

Screen resolution is dependent on screen size. If you want 1920x1080 you need to look at physically bigger phones. As far as iPhones go that means the 6s Plus or the 7 Plus.

Case manufacturers make case to fit phones. Phone manufacturers don't make phones to fit cases.

Apple makes updates available from time to time. It's your choice as to whether you update or not. As new versions of iOS become available, older iPhones are left out of the upgrade path. iOS10 was not available for the 4s or any previous phones.

The iPhone 7 is the fastest phone currently available. That may or may not mean anything to you since you indicate that you will not be using it to anything like its full potential.

There's nothing special about the fingerprint recognition. It's just a different way of unlocking your phone that you may, or may not, find useful. You can also use it for ApplePay, should you choose to use it.

2 years? That's a long time to be stuck with buyer's remorse. You've started out well, by joining a forum where you can get some solid advice. Ask around. Find out why people like their iPhones. Join our sister Android forums and find out why people wouldn't touch an iPhone with a ten foot pole. We will be honest with you. It's your money, and your choice. Don't believe the crap that manufacturers will throw at you. Yes, we are all iPhone users. That could be (as in my case) purely accidental. My first smartphone was an iPhone and I happened to like it, so I stuck with the brand. Other people have different reasons. The iPhone may be the right product for you, or it may be the worst thing you ever bought. Do your research thoroughly. Never forget, it's much easier to buy than it is to sell. The customer is king.

I have heard a lot of things that have not been so flattering about the 7 and the 6S seems like it would fit my needs just well.

Most of my phone use is for talking, texting and searching a few things on the net.

But I wanted 32GB of memory and the 6S is standard with 16. I have to pay another $100 to get 64GB there is not 32 option.

But the 6S is $549 and the extra $100 would make it the same price as the new 7 at $649.

Plus I would get a faster processor water resistance and a better camera. Even though the camera is not important and neither is the extra 32GB.

It seems like the Apples would be superior to a mid range Android that is 2.5 years old.

I read that the curved screen on the 7 makes it hard to find a phone cover that fits correctly.

Is it correct to say that when Apple updates its software it does it across the board for all of its phones at one time?

What is so special about the fingerprint thing....is that for security so you log in with your fingerprint?

Thanks.....

If you are trying to choose between the iPhone 6S and 7, I think, providing cost isn't a consideration, that it is always better to get the latest model. It will better be able to cope with the future operating system updates which regularly occur.

Hi @DallasFan and welcome to the forum.

Couple of questions.

Why have you narrowed it down to phones that have a different operating system to that which you are used to?

Because people that own Apple products are passionate about them, whether they are laptops or Iphones. And when I called Tmobile the other day and spoke to the guy on the other end he sounded like he was making a personal testimony in front of church.

I am not concerned about a different operating system. It's only a phone. It's not like I am moving to a new country and adopting a new culture and language.

What have you heard that is not so flattering about the iPhone 7, and why are you still considering one if that is the case?

I came here to get an independent unbiased opinion from experienced users. User reviews for the I7 only average 3.5 out of 5 at Best Buy. But a lot of times the reviews on those sites are from people that don't own them and just like to complain. They are not informed and experienced users.

Why are you looking at top of the line phones if your usage is likely to be limited to talk, text and a bit of browsing?

Because our needs change and I am going to own it for 2 years or so just like my former phones.
Motorola Startac, another Motorola I don't recall, Motorola Razr, Blackberry Curve, Nexus 5.

Now, to answer your points as best as I'm able.

The 6s comes in 2 storage sizes, 32Gb and 128GB, so the cheaper one meets your requirement.

Yes, I think so too. But what is the most popular capacity on this forum....what do most Iphone users have.......just for curiosity.

For the usage you indicate, any current phone from any manufacturer would serve your purposes, including some that are much cheaper than any iPhone, or even free with a contract.

No, I have seen many others and they are slow, small and frustrating.....and ugly.

Screen resolution is dependent on screen size. If you want 1920x1080 you need to look at physically bigger phones. As far as iPhones go that means the 6s Plus or the 7 Plus.

Thanks, I noticed that the Plus was the one with the better resolution.

Case manufacturers make case to fit phones. Phone manufacturers don't make phones to fit cases.

The only reason I asked is because I read a review and the OP said that he bought a case for the 7 and it did not fit properly because of the curve in the 7. It seems like the manufacturer would build them to fit.

He did not mention the name of the manufacturer. I was wondering if there was 1,2 popular manufacturers of cases that forum members use.

......Just a general question I had in mind when I had recently read the review prior to posting this.

Apple makes updates available from time to time. It's your choice as to whether you update or not. As new versions of iOS become available, older iPhones are left out of the upgrade path. iOS10 was not available for the 4s or any previous phones.

Yeah, that is a major plus for Apple. If you buy an Android and Google releases an update it goes to Google phones first and it may be 4-6 months before Samsung updates their phones.

Assuming that they don't spontaneously start burning before the update reaches the phone.

I saw something on the news that another Samsung phone caught fire...it was either an S7 or S8.

The iPhone 7 is the fastest phone currently available. That may or may not mean anything to you since you indicate that you will not be using it to anything like its full potential.

It gets irritating when you log on to something and have to wait and wait and wait for something to download.............

There's nothing special about the fingerprint recognition. It's just a different way of unlocking your phone that you may, or may not, find useful. You can also use it for ApplePay, should you choose to use it.

Thanks, I have never used it.
I have never used Android pay either. I am leery of putting my entire life online. There are too many businesses being hacked today. Presently, it is not a major selling point but that could change in the future.

2 years? That's a long time to be stuck with buyer's remorse. You've started out well, by joining a forum where you can get some solid advice. Ask around. Find out why people like their iPhones. Join our sister Android forums and find out why people wouldn't touch an iPhone with a ten foot pole. We will be honest with you. It's your money, and your choice. Don't believe the crap that manufacturers will throw at you. Yes, we are all iPhone users. That could be (as in my case) purely accidental. My first smartphone was an iPhone and I happened to like it, so I stuck with the brand. Other people have different reasons. The iPhone may be the right product for you, or it may be the worst thing you ever bought. Do your research thoroughly. Never forget, it's much easier to buy than it is to sell. The customer is king.

Yes, but owners of Samsung , Nexus and other brands aren't as loyal as Apple owners.
There has to be a reason.

I noticed you are from Canada.
Congratulations to your Toronto Blue Jays for beating our Texas Rangers in the playoffs.
I think you beat us last year (or the year before?) at the beginning of the American League championships.

Thanks for your time.

For me, the reason to stay loyal to Apple is that the equipment does what I want it to.

When it fails me, my loyalty is gone, like it never existed.

Right now, I'd have no hesitation in recommending an iPhone 7, BUT I'd still want to know, in the case of a switcher, what their needs are and whether the radically different OS is going to give them problems.

In your case, I'd list the pros and cons of the available equipment, not just the Apple phones, and see which one comes closest to fulfilling your needs over the next couple of years.

Most of my computer equipment is Apple, but I have one program that is not available for Mac and is very important to me, so I also have a PC. I'm not interested in workarounds. I will not run Windows on a Mac, and I will not use an alternative program. If the program becomes available for Mac, then fine, my next desktop will be a Mac. If not, then I'll buy another PC.

I don't think it's good for consumers to become slavishly loyal to a company. Apple has no right to your loyalty. They need to earn it. If you are not bowled over by the iPhone, they haven't done a good enough job yet.

Thanks.....
Did I miss something? The iPhone 7 has a curved screen?

We must also remember that using an iPhone is not just about the phone itself, it's also about the connected services - the device and its operating system are only part of the equation.

For example, iCloud syncs a lot of things across devices (Safari tabs, device backups, keychain, etc.). And then there is Handoff, Continuity and universal clipboard that allow the user to pick up on one device where he/she left off on a different device. Backups roll out to all supported devices as soon as Apple releases them, there is no need to wait for the carrier to approve a backup.

Then there is security. The recent FBI vs Apple debacle has shown us that even the National Security Agency isn't able to crack the encryption that is used in iOS.

Apple has a nice webpage that lets you compare the different models: iPhone - Compare Models - Apple

I used to be an Android developer and I moved to iOS in 2012 after falling in love with Apple offerings.. and I'll likely be here the rest of my life. My daily driver is currently an iPhone 6s and, being a picky and impatient old man, I'm quite happy with it.

No, it's flat. Rumour is the next iPhone may have a curved screen.

We must also remember that using an iPhone is not just about the phone itself, it's also about the connected services - the device and its operating system are only part of the equation.

For example, iCloud syncs a lot of things across devices (Safari tabs, device backups, keychain, etc.). And then there is Handoff, Continuity and universal clipboard that allow the user to pick up on one device where he/she left off on a different device. Backups roll out to all supported devices as soon as Apple releases them, there is no need to wait for the carrier to approve a backup.

Then there is security. The recent FBI vs Apple debacle has shown us that even the National Security Agency isn't able to crack the encryption that is used in iOS.

Apple has a nice webpage that lets you compare the different models: iPhone - Compare Models - Apple

I used to be an Android developer and I moved to iOS in 2012 after falling in love with Apple offerings.. and I'll likely be here the rest of my life. My daily driver is currently an iPhone 6s and, being a picky and impatient old man, I'm quite happy with it.

As a standalone device the iPhone may not be much, if any, better than any other phone. Considered as part of a system, it is vastly superior.

The only curve in the iPhone 7 screen is the rounding off of the very edge of the screen, which dates to its original introduction on the iPhone 6 in 2014. The face of the screen is perfectly flat.

Last edited:
If you are trying to choose between the iPhone 6S and 7, I think, providing cost isn't a consideration, that it is always better to get the latest model. It will better be able to cope with the future operating system updates which regularly occur.

Thanks ........that is probably a good idea.

Especially, if I am going to have it for a whil

Curved edge?
That is what the reviewer said when I read it. ........but that was from Best Buy I believe.
That's why I came here for more reliable advice.

The only curve in the iPhone 7 screen is the rounding off of the very edge of the screen, which dates to its original introduction on the iPhone 6 in 2014. The face of the screen is perfectly flat.

Yeah, that is similar to what the reviewer said........and he said dirt got caught between the phone and the protective case.......which was probably the result of him buying the wrong case.

But, that led me to ask the question about the most popular phone cases.

Yeah, that is similar to what the reviewer said........and he said dirt got caught between the phone and the protective case.......which was probably the result of him buying the wrong case.

But, that led me to ask the question about the most popular phone cases.
When the rumors were flying all summer about what the IPhone 7 would look like, some spoke of curved edges,even rendered mock-ups. But they were wrong and when the IPhone case first came out, some manufacturers had jumped the gun and made cases on what they thought the IP6 would be, they were off and some early cases were not good. The reputable manufacturers fixed the problem and hopefully have learned their lesson from 2 years ago. I can't speak about those that make cheap cases.