What's new

A better way to view running apps?

Tricon7

Reaction score
The only way I know to view what apps are currently running is to very quickly double-click the Home button. But most of the time I try, I don't double-click fast enough, and all it does is to shift my screen over one to a new page of apps. This is becoming pretty aggravating. Isn't there an easier way to view/cancel running apps?

On the same topic, but a different note, I have found huge relief in shutting down my running applications every day. I was averaging ~ 40% by 5pm everyday with a modest amount of talk time (maybe a solid hour total) with browsing and messaging (I don't want to say "normal usage" because everyone is different).
With shutting down my applications on a regular basis, I now have ~ 70% with the same usage. Major difference. I think that the TelNav GPS and some others were consuming most of it, especially if you leave the application without ending the trip.

Double clicking on any screen doesn't seem to cause me any problems, but I'm open to an alternate approach.

If you are "jailbroken" there are many tweaks that allow different ways to view paused apps.

i Use Multifl0w

For completet control over iOS multitasking i use these:
Multifl0w
MultiCleaner
Backgrounder

Mutifl0w just gives you 2 different ways to "view" paused apps, and MultiCleaner and Backgrounder improve the multitasking functionality. I truly cannot live without MultiCleaner. Using Activator you can assign any gesture/action for "quit current app", "quit all apps at once", and minimize app. With the combination of Activator and MultiCleaner i can simply swipe up from the bottom right-side of my screen to bring up the app switcher, then just drag any app up and out of the switcher. I love that.lol. No double pressing the home button, no tapping and holding on an icon til it wiggles to quit it. Just swipe up, and swipe up and out any app in the switcher.

Other tweaks that offer different ways to "view" paused apps are:

Imperium (not bad actually.If you can get use the UI. I dont really like the UI, but the functionality the UI offers is impressive, and has really improved since it's first initial version)

CardSwitcher (same thing as Multifl0w but a little better IMO. just have to respring every time you make a change, but only have to apply changes to the settings once)

Zephyr (control and view app switcher and paused apps with "swipe" gestures. Very nice tweak, and I would use it the "swipe up to activate switcher" did not conflict with Activators "swipe up from screen bottom" actions. So I just use Activator to pull up the app switcher with a quick swipe up from the bottom of the screen)

Aero (View paused apps via the app icon in a flow effect over the springboard (or blank background))

The only way to really see what these tweaks do is to YouTube them or something.

If you are not jailbroken, nor plan on jailbreaking........................Well....................Sorry for wasting your time;)

On a side note:

Most apps have pretty much no effect at all if they are paused, while certain apps do. like GPS apps, and anything that streams media.

But for the most part 99% of all apps cannot run in the background. They are paused in RAM and iOS frees that RAM when the phone needs it.

Closing an app that streams data, like Pandora, or a lot of navigation apps will have a small effect when free'd, but only those large apps that actually use Apple'e API for multitasking will make a "small" difference.

Other apps that dont do anything but remain in a "paused" state don't make much of a difference when closed. But nevertheless, is not ever a bad idea to free your RAM from time to time. Otherwise it is pretty pointless to constantly close the apps in your switcher. But hey, helps with the OCD.lol

Last edited:
The only way I know to view what apps are currently running is to very quickly double-click the Home button. But most of the time I try, I don't double-click fast enough, and all it does is to shift my screen over one to a new page of apps. This is becoming pretty aggravating. Isn't there an easier way to view/cancel running apps?

Tricon, I agree with you -- this double-tapping is quite flaky. I have to double-tap that Home button several times in order to get my running apps to show. All the while, I know that I'm taking life off that silly mechanical Home button switch, which is getting worse all the time. iOS 5 supposedly has a touch-screen Home Button that may solve that mechanical button thing, but I'm quite resistant to upgrade my iOS due to the idiocy and danger of using iTines to do it. Whine, whine......

EWyatt said:
Tricon, I agree with you -- this double-tapping is quite flaky. I have to double-tap that Home button several times in order to get my running apps to show. All the while, I know that I'm taking life off that silly mechanical Home button switch, which is getting worse all the time. iOS 5 supposedly has a touch-screen Home Button that may solve that mechanical button thing, but I'm quite resistant to upgrade my iOS due to the idiocy and danger of using iTines to do it. Whine, whine......

You mean like you can't get the hang of doing it fast enough or you actually have to double press multiple times to make the switcher show?

If that is the case, then I would get your home button+connectors replaced. Not very expensive.

Luckily because I'm jailbroken, I can choose to not use the home button at all. Because of a tweak called Activator I can assign pretty much any gesture/swipe/home button press/mute switch toggle/volume button press and a series of each of those options o do basically anything I want.

You mean like you can't get the hang of doing it fast enough or you actually have to double press multiple times to make the switcher show?

If that is the case, then I would get your home button+connectors replaced. Not very expensive.

It's because I can't get the "timing" right OR because my Home Button is becoming mechanically unstable. Personally, I "think" it's probably the "timing" thing. I've noticed that having certain apps running causes the iOS to react a bit slower to the mechanical button, and thus the flaky button response. NOTE THIS: when I hit the Home button to get out of my locked screen (black screen), the Home Button always reacts instantly, without discrepancy. This tells me that perhaps my mechanical button is really OK, and that the running apps in the background are the reason for my intermittent button responses when the phone is not in the locked mode.

Got all that?? Whew!

PS: I only WISH I could visit an Apple Store for my issue with the Home Button and my not-happening iOS upgrade. But since Apple has decided that they can only have stores in mega-cities, I'm out of luck, since the closest one is 4 hours driving away.

Why are you so afraid of updating to IOS5?

eddieg said:
Why are you so afraid of updating to IOS5?

I think he is afraid iTunes will mess something up for some reason.

Little does he know....iTunes will cause no problems.

Seems like it needs jail break. When I double press the home button for the fist time, to check which app is running, I also find I am not fast enough.

I guess years of active thumb wresting championships have prepped me to be a good "double home button-er" :)

I have installed IOS5 on two iPhones, two iPads and "Lion'd" 3 Mac's all without any problems. Apple's got it together in upgrade land.
No worries.