What's new

Problem activating phone after its gone dormant

Tricon7

Reaction score
If my iPhone 4 is dormant and I want to turn on the screen, I normally click the home button. However, sometimes - like today - I can press it and absolutely nothing happens. I have to press the on button (the one I normally would use to turn the phone off) to see my home icons. Weird. And once I've opened several apps and want to close them, I would double-click the home button and select which apps to close. But now I double-click and nothing happens. I do have the softkey button activated on the phone, so I can just tap it and go back to my home screen, but it doesn't allow me to see what apps are currently open, so I can't close any out. I have to turn the phone off, then back on again, to do that. What a hassle. Is there something I've done to cause this or a better workaround?

See if this helps:

Turn off your iPhone and then on again.

Press the Power button (the one to turn off the iPhone) until "slide to power off" appears. Then release the button, and press the Home button until "slide to power off" disappears.

Try using the Home button as usual.

If this doesn't help, it's a hardware related problem.

If my iPhone 4 is dormant and I want to turn on the screen, I normally click the home button. However, sometimes - like today - I can press it and absolutely nothing happens. I have to press the on button (the one I normally would use to turn the phone off) to see my home icons. Weird. And once I've opened several apps and want to close them, I would double-click the home button and select which apps to close. But now I double-click and nothing happens. I do have the softkey button activated on the phone, so I can just tap it and go back to my home screen, but it doesn't allow me to see what apps are currently open, so I can't close any out. I have to turn the phone off, then back on again, to do that. What a hassle. Is there something I've done to cause this or a better workaround?
Weren't you saying last minute nth that your home button was starting to fail? It might be a symptom of that.