What's new

6 Plus Touch ID problem

D5R

Reaction score
So I've got an iPhone 6 Plus 64GB, and recently the Touch ID has been acting up. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I took it to the Apple representative in my town, the guy opened up the phone to check the Touch ID, and he said it was just a cleaning problem. The Touch ID was working outside of the phone.

When he assembled it back together, the Touch ID stopped working again. He told me to restore the phone, so I did. After that, the Touch ID still wasn't working.

A few days go by, and I decided to try one last time, and it started working again and it worked for at least a month. I updated to iOS 10 and worked great so far, until a couple days ago...it started acting up again and I'm getting tired of this. It stopped working once more

What do you guys think the problem might be? Thanks for any help.

Might want to try reregistering your fingerprint. That's been known to help.

I've tried that, what happens is that it doesn't read the fingerprint completely. I put my finger on, it reads and then it goes back to zero again. Here's a video to demonstrate the issue:

Was the shop that opened your iPhone an Apple Store?
And is you iPhone under any kind of guarantees?

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

It wasn't an Apple Store. The Apple Store in my town doesn't have a repair service, so I would have to leave the phone there, they would ship it to the repair shop and return it. This process takes at least a month.

I took it to the Apple rep, and the guy told me the touch id was ok and that no errors were given when he tested it.

No warraties...

So just to confirm the button and the silver ring are perfectly clean when you input your finger print.
It might also be worth trying a different finger.
If all that lot does help then l'm lost. And as expert on here said , it above my pay grade.
Sorry.

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

Try to redo your fingerprint, but touch and release a little faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry but from what I've read about the touch disease is that it is related to the screen only. I don't see any mention of the touch id. Am I missing something?
You're partly correct. Touch Disease is actually caused by failure of the solder joints connecting the Touch IC chip to the logic board. It has nothing to do with Touch ID. The touch screen itself is unaffected, with the problem caused by the failed Touch IC chip resulting in a progressive failure of the touchscreen functionality.

Must confess l was a bit confused about that to, but hey something in there might have helped you, who knows.

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.