What's new

Touch ID & Passcode registers fingerprint but does not retain it

Michael Graubart

Reaction score
iPhone 5s with iOS 9.2.1

I want to set up Touch ID so that I can make purchases from the App Store without having to type in my ID and password each time. If I open Settings > Touch ID & Password and turn on 'iPhone Unlock' and/or 'iTunes & App Store', I am invited to go through the process of recording my fingerprint. When this is complete and I return to Touch ID & Passcode, both 'iPhone Unlock' and 'iTunes & App Store' are shown as turned off again, and if I turn one of them on, I am invited to go through the whole process once more. What can I do to break through the circle?

Many thanks in anticipation.

When you set up a fingerprint successfully, you should find it there afterwards, and it should look something like that:
image.png

If your fingerprint is not visible, it's possible that it wasn't really set up, or your iPhone doesn't remember your fingerprints.

Here are instructions from Apple how to set up Touch ID
Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad - Apple Support
If this doesn't help, take your iPhone to the next Apple Retail store, let them have a look at it.

Setting up a fingerprint is a two part process. After the initial set up you have to tap the continue link to scan the edges of your fingerprint. If you skip this step your fingerprint won't be set up.

Setting up a fingerprint is a two part process. After the initial set up you have to tap the continue link to scan the edges of your fingerprint. If you skip this step your fingerprint won't be set up.

Thanks v. much, scifan57. I have tried the procedure a number of times. A fingerprint is shown in the Touch ID window, but both iPhone Unlock and iTunes & App Store are shown as switched off, and when I switch them on I am asked to go through the whole scanning procedure again. There seems to be no way of keeping them on.

Is it relevant that I am not using a passcode?

Yes, it is. You have to set up a passcode, if you want to use Touch ID.

Yes, it is. You have to set up a passcode, if you want to use Touch ID.
Ah, thank you, J. A. That explains it. But can you tell me, if I set up a passcode and later I decide to abandon the whole procedure, is there a way of withdrawing the passcode?

You can disable it in Settings, in Touch ID & Passcode: below your fingerprints, you'll find "Turn Passcode Off".

I'm glad your Touch ID problem is solved.
I'm afraid I have to return to the fray. I have enabled Touch ID in Settings both for unlocking and for the App and iTunes stores. My fingerprint unlocks the phone perfectly, but it seems not to work in the App Store. I attach a screenshot of what happens when I try to download and install an app.; I have tried touching everywhere on the screen with the finger with which I created the stored fingerprint, with no success. Once again I should be very grateful for help.
image.png

You have to tap the Home button with the finger that's registered, when you see this popup.

Last edited:
As with taking the fingerprint, the home button is the only fingerprint reader on your device.

If Touch ID is enabled for App Store purchases you have to touch the home button just as you would to unlock the phone. Also, if the iPhone has been restarted or has sat unused for too long, the password has to be entered to re-enable Touch ID.