What's new

3rd party cables harmful to phone?

Yes, I am from the UK, and so is that eBay seller. I did however receive an email the other day some outfit- I cant remember who they are -based in America selling these cables for six dollars or thereabouts. Unfortunately, I didn't save the email and I can't remember who they are. I will have a look to see if I can find the email in my deleted folder. If I do I will get back to you.

im not sure about the new cables, but for the old 30 pim cables, i had so many of them that i didnt even know which ones were original or third party. the cable is very little to do with the way it charges, but more the actual wall adapter..

im not sure about the new cables, but for the old 30 pim cables, i had so many of them that i didnt even know which ones were original or third party. the cable is very little to do with the way it charges, but more the actual wall adapter..

With the old 30 pin that may have been true but this latest lightening cable has a chip in it which affects its performance. However, whatever code that pin contained, the Chinese [being the boy wonders they are] managed to break it. I purchased 3 on ebay - one worked perfectly, another was a bit temperamental and the last didn't work at all. But ebayer remedied the situation immediately and replaced two. I now have three which work as well as the original. Whether the two dodgy ones were because of the chip, I don't know and for the record, they were dodgy when plugged into the mains not the computer.

If they can be purchased from Amazon, I would purchase them without worrying. If you get one that is a bit temperamental, just return it and exchange it for one that is not. I think the risk you run when buying third-party electronics such as these lightning leads, is that they may or may not be temperamental unlike the original which is guaranteed to work all the time.

At the end of the day, I think the third-party lightening leads are fine and well worth the savings one makes when buying them.

With the old 30 pin that may have been true but this latest lightening cable has a chip in it which affects its performance. However, whatever code that pin contained, the Chinese [being the boy wonders they are] managed to break it. I purchased 3 on ebay - one worked perfectly, another was a bit temperamental and the last didn't work at all. But ebayer remedied the situation immediately and replaced two. I now have three which work as well as the original. Whether the two dodgy ones were because of the chip, I don't know and for the record, they were dodgy when plugged into the mains not the computer.

If they can be purchased from Amazon, I would purchase them without worrying. If you get one that is a bit temperamental, just return it and exchange it for one that is not. I think the risk you run when buying third-party electronics such as these lightning leads, is that they may or may not be temperamental unlike the original which is guaranteed to work all the time.

At the end of the day, I think the third-party lightening leads are fine and well worth the savings one makes when buying them.

thanks. ill be getting some soon

I have some I bought on eBay and keep getting "charging not supported with this accessory."

If you read the above post, you will see I also bought some of these cables off eBay. Two gave me the same message you're getting and were exchanged for two which worked fine. Send them back to the seller and get them replaced.