What's new

3GS jail breaking issue

cstevio

Reaction score
Hi,

Have a 3GS with the following model, serial number and modem firmware:

MC637B
880381K4EDG

I hastily tried to upgrade to ios6 as I wanted to jailbreak and the unlock. Not sure if that was wise. Upon reading more info, I am under the impression I cannot jailbreak or unlock this model? I haven't found anything contrary to my understanding. Could someone give me a definitive answer as to whether I can jailbreak and unlock?

Many thanks

Steve

Jailbreakable and unlockable. Use RedSn0w to jailbreak. Since you're on iOS 6, you'll need to download the iOS 6.0 IPSW to jailbreak, regardless of whether your phone is on iOS 6.0 or 6.0.1. Tick both Install Cydia and Deactivate. Wait for the jailbreak to finish, then install both UltraSn0w and the UltraSn0w Fixer for iOS 6. That'll unlock your device.

Jailbreakable and unlockable. Use RedSn0w to jailbreak. Since you're on iOS 6, you'll need to download the iOS 6.0 IPSW to jailbreak, regardless of whether your phone is on iOS 6.0 or 6.0.1. Tick both Install Cydia and Deactivate. Wait for the jailbreak to finish, then install both UltraSn0w and the UltraSn0w Fixer for iOS 6. That'll unlock your device.

Thank you for responding willerz2.

I did as you suggested and when the phone booted up, it asked me to activate the phone which it did not allow me to do so, I got a message saying "We are unable to continue with your activation at this time" . I assume I need the phone activated before I can install ultrasn0w based on the tutorial I saw on how to use ultrasn0w.

Just for information, I installed 6.0.1 and then realized I should've installed 6.0 and could not do so via itunes so I used redsn0w to install 6.0 by selecting an IPSW and then continuing with Jailbreak. After doing this I was able to activate phone but no Cydia app was available which is what has led me to my original post.

You'll need a SIM for the original carrier for the 3GS. If you want to bypass it, you'll need to tick Deactivate like I said before then install UltraSn0w to keep it hacktivated.

Your on a Tethered jailbreak... you need to run "Just Boot" in redsn0w...

You'll need a SIM for the original carrier for the 3GS. If you want to bypass it, you'll need to tick Deactivate like I said before then install UltraSn0w to keep it hacktivated.
I don't have SIM unfortunately. I selected the deactivate option as you mentioned and still it asks for activation.

Your on a Tethered jailbreak... you need to run "Just Boot" in redsn0w...
Tried "Just Boot" and same again, it asked me to activate the phone again.

Does the version of redsn0w matter? I'm using the latest version.

Also, the firmware I downloaded is http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6/Restore/041-7173.20120919.sDDMh/iPhone2,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw

An update. Oddly, somewhere along trying and retrying to jailbreak according to the recommendations the Cydia icon appeared however when I click on i, it closes almost instantly.