What's new

3GS - How to upgrade from 4.0.1 to other 4.x.x version?

zserik33

Reaction score
Hello, i have an iPhone 3GS:
4.0.1 (8A306)
I never had other version on it. It is jailbroken, and i do not know if its factory unlocked or not(maybe some1 can tell me how to check). Can i upgrade my 4.0.1 to 4.3.3?

It's probably not factory unlocked, but it is unlockable because it has the 5.13.04 baseband. You need to use sn0wbreeze(pc) or pwnage tool(mac), to create a custom restore file where the baseband is preserved. If you use a stock restore file it will upgrade your baseband and you wont be able to unlock it.

Redmondpie.com has excellent tutorials.

so... if i want iOS 4.3 i have the chance to lose the unlock? i have saved blobs of this version, with that i can go back to this iOS if the other doesn`t works properly(unlock) ? or i`m stuck at 4.0.1 or 5.0.1(official upgrade) ?P.s sorry for my english

so... if i want iOS 4.3 i have the chance to lose the unlock? i have saved blobs of this version, with that i can go back to this iOS if the other doesn`t works properly(unlock) ? or i`m stuck at 4.0.1 or 5.0.1(official upgrade) ?P.s sorry for my english

There's no chance you'll lose the unlock if you use Sn0wbreeze(PC) or Pwnage Tool(Mac) to create a custom restore file that preserves the BaseBand.

I'd skip iOS 4.3 and go right to iOS 5.0.1.

If this was my iPhone, I'd make custom restore file, then jailbreak it with Redsn0w and unlock with Ultrasn0w.

Here's an excellent tutorial:

Jailbreak 5.0.1 Untethered On iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9 | Redmond Pie

but ios 5.0.1 will dramatically slow down my phone... or not? it`s just a 3GS ....

hmm... oke... and if i save blobs i can go back to 4.0 ? if i dont like ios 5

man... u gave me wrong tips.... i have now 5.0.1 .. NO SERVICE (used jailbreak and unlock), and now my BB is fked up also... i can throw out my iphone... i have blobs for 4.0.1 but i cant downgrade to it. Thank you :)

man... u gave me wrong tips.... i have now 5.0.1 .. NO SERVICE (used jailbreak and unlock), and now my BB is fked up also... i can throw out my iphone... i have blobs for 4.0.1 but i cant downgrade to it. Thank you :)

Did you cook the firmware preserving your baseband before pointing to redsnow?

restored, jailbroken, then cydia unlock... not works... now i guess i cant fix it with iPad baseband either...

zserik33 why didn't you follow this post of Mr.Mischief?
There's no chance you'll lose the unlock if you use Sn0wbreeze(PC) or Pwnage Tool(Mac) to create a custom restore file that preserves the BaseBand.

I'd skip iOS 4.3 and go right to iOS 5.0.1.

If this was my iPhone, I'd make custom restore file, then jailbreak it with Redsn0w and unlock with Ultrasn0w.

Here's an excellent tutorial:

Jailbreak 5.0.1 Untethered On iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9 | Redmond Pie

i was using 3 guides at the sametime... trying with iPad... its already Flashing Baseband... i hope it will work.... and i sell it xD

done, i already wrote SMS to my gf :D 5.0.1 installed and unlocked. Close enough with iPad bb.