What's new

Who's buying the new Macbook Pro?!

I have my doubts about the touch bar, I wonder if after the initial oohing and aahing people will wonder if its worth the big price tag for what might be a novelty.
At first I was blown away watching the event but slowly I started to realise what had been taken out and I felt very sad at what they have done to the MacBook we love.

We'll have to see how the new Touch Bar works out in practice before we can pass final judgement on it. It'll depend on what the Mac app developers can do with it.

You can't go wrong with a Mac mini, I've had mine since 2013 and I still love it. Folks can say what they will, but I'll stick to the Mac mini line as long as I'm in need of a desktop machine.

The Mini is the only computer that will do what I want. Can't use an iMac because I have no room for a screen. I want to hardwire it to my DAC. I'm finding AirPlay is unreliable on high bitrate recordings.

I have my doubts about the touch bar, I wonder if after the initial oohing and aahing people will wonder if its worth the big price tag for what might be a novelty.
At first I was blown away watching the event but slowly I started to realise what had been taken out and I felt very sad at what they have done to the MacBook we love.

The TouchBar could become a thing if people realise how incredibly powerful it is and integrate it into app with a bit of imagination. It will be a pity if it ends up displaying emojis 90% of the time.

We'll have to see how the new Touch Bar works out in practice before we can pass final judgement on it. It'll depend on what the Mac app developers can do with it.
I think removing the SD slot was a really bad move, I use mine a lot, I have read a lot of comments on various sites and the removal of the slot is what angers people the most. I saw hardly any rave comments about the Touch Bar.
Maybe time will time.

I think removing the SD slot was a really bad move, I use mine a lot, I have read a lot of comments on various sites and the removal of the slot is what angers people the most. I saw hardly any rave comments about the Touch Bar.
Maybe time will time.
I use the SD card slot to transfer photos from my camera. Having to buy a dongle to do the job just makes it more of a burden as well as having another piece to carry around.

I use the SD card slot to transfer photos from my camera. Having to buy a dongle to do the job just makes it more of a burden as well as having another piece to carry around.
Totally agree, I use it that way too all the time, It always works flawlessly and I worry that a dongle wouldn't work as well and it will be so inconvenient to have to keep connecting a dongle.

I was incredulous when I realised it had gone and I still wonder at the idiocy of it.

I can't remember which thread I posted that I felt this new MacBook pro didn't feel pro at all. The extra dongles and limited battery life are clear indications of that sentiment.

Totally agree, I use it that way too all the time, It always works flawlessly and I worry that a dongle wouldn't work as well and it will be so inconvenient to have to keep connecting a dongle.

I was incredulous when I realised it had gone and I still wonder at the idiocy of it.
Apple is too focussed on making everything as small and thin as possible, even to the point that functionality critical to so many users is compromised. Even with the new design, there should be enough room for an SD card slot.

The Mini is the only computer that will do what I want. Can't use an iMac because I have no room for a screen. I want to hardwire it to my DAC. I'm finding AirPlay is unreliable on high bitrate recordings.

The TouchBar could become a thing if people realise how incredibly powerful it is and integrate it into app with a bit of imagination. It will be a pity if it ends up displaying emojis 90% of the time.
That's why I was hoping Apple opens the Touch Bar up to developers, they could turn it into more than the "gimmick" that some people currently see.

Emoji's are, in my opinion, the biggest waste of resources I've seen in a long time.

Apple is too focussed on making everything as small and thin as possible, even to the point that functionality critical to so many users is compromised. Even with the new design, there should be enough room for an SD card slot.
Agree.

Apple is too focussed on making everything as small and thin as possible, even to the point that functionality critical to so many users is compromised.

I gotta say I disagree.

Apple has been set on making thinner products since way back with the introduction of the MacBook Air. It was a great product and I was one of the early adopters, but it's also key to note that it wasn't replacing the MacBook Pro at the time. It was an addition to the line and appeals to a very distinct target market.

The people that want to be ultra portable aren't as concerned about losing a few ports and battery life. The traditional heavy industry user, expects a certain level of functionality from their MacBook Pro, especially when the price point starts where it starts. I'm not going to pay more a workhorse of a machine and then feel the need to carry a bunch of adaptors and dongles around with me that's also going to cost me more money. OH and all those magsafe adaptors I have in all the places I frequent are useless now too.

The MagSafe is a brilliant piece of technology, I have lost count of how many times my MacBook might have ended up on the floor but for the MagSafe.
Thats another thing many people are angry about.

I just hope this move has been well thought out and not just an impulse decision based on the design of the 12 inch Retina MacBook. How shitty would it be if Apple release and open letter of apology for removing mag safe and then announcing it would be back in future models.

Decision has been made, let's hope it's for the long haul. No U turns.

What will really suck is if someone has to borrow a Windows laptop to show a presentation held on a thumb drive on an HDMI projector. But at least he'd be able to charge his iPhone while he was doing it.

MagSafe is excellent in preventing damage to your computer if somebody trips over the cord but it is limited in its functionality compared to USB C, which is probably why Apple is replacing it. Too bad they didn't develop a next generation MagSafe connector with the same level of functionality as the new USB C connector.

Last edited: