What's new

Upgrade iPhone 4 to iOS 7.1?

davos05

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4 and am currently running iOS 6.1.3, and looking at updating to 7.1.
I was just wondering is it worth doing this?

I have an iPhone 4 and am currently running iOS 6.1.3, and looking at updating to 7.1. I was just wondering is it worth doing this?
I wasn't thrilled with the new look. But the new features made it worthwhile. Unless you plan to JB, I'd do it. The new update has added stability to the iPhone 4. It's smoother and faster now.

I wasn't thrilled with the new look. But the new features made it worthwhile. Unless you plan to JB, I'd do it. The new update has added stability to the iPhone 4. It's smoother and faster now.

Agreed. 7.1 smoothed out the iOS a LOT for the iPhone 4. Transitions are smoother, less lag in general, but despite those, remember that iOS 7 is still slightly more resource demanding than iOS 6.

[h=2]>>Upgrade iPhone 4 to iOS 7.1?<<[/h]
Well, I tried to make the update but it told me I needed 1.8 GB of storage, which I don't have. I'm wondering why this particular update requires so much space, and is not merely replacing what's already there? What am I missing here?

That's quite normal, make some space to upgrade, it's seems to all work out ok ( it did for mine )

Yeah, I biffed a bunch of apps I never use, and ended up with more than enough space. Download in progress as I speak. (so to speak)

Thanks..

Yeah, I biffed a bunch of apps I never use, and ended up with more than enough space. Download in progress as I speak. (so to speak)

Thanks..

Note that OTA updates (using Settings > Software Update) will eat up 500 MB of your storage for nothing. It's just there to store old cache. The only way to delete it and get the space back is to restore your device. To retain the 500 MB during your iOS upgrade, download the latest iOS firmware IPSW, then hold shift (Windows) or command (Mac OS) and click "Check for Updates" in iTunes with your device connected, and point it to the downloaded IPSW. It does the same as an OTA update except it's not storing the IPSW on-board, and it's not extracting the file on-board, meaning you'll only need a fraction of the required space to perform the update.

I have a 4S and haven't updated to the most recent 7.1 because 7.0 made my phone laggy and that's because it doesn't have the new and improved electronics to handle the OS.

I have a 4S and haven't updated to the most recent 7.1 because 7.0 made my phone laggy and that's because it doesn't have the new and improved electronics to handle the OS.

Compared to the 4, the 4S runs iOS 7 like a saint. 7.1 does go a little ham on your battery, but it's a lot smoother than the previous 7.0.X releases by far.