What's new

The Downfall of Hackulous/Installous!!!!!

Why is the use of the now defunct pirate site's "name" being allowed on this thread but shut down or moderator edited in other threads? Is this the one sanctioned thread where we can talk about it? I was just surprised by this.

Because the other threads were seeking support for theft (piracy), whereas this thread is praising the downfall of something that shouldn't have been allowed to exist to begin with.

As far as my research has been going, there are 3 other giants aside from Installous that may potentially capture the market as much as Installous has. They're not as efficient in UI and smooth functionality as Installous, but now that Installous is down, pirates will resort to those 3 alternatives and they might potentially blow up into the big 3.

As far as my research has been going, there are 3 other giants aside from Installous that may potentially capture the market as much as Installous has. They're not as efficient in UI and smooth functionality as Installous, but now that Installous is down, pirates will resort to those 3 alternatives and they might potentially blow up into the big 3.

Let's hope these three will be put in the same grave as installous. :)

As thewitt and Bula stated
The apps in themselves aren't anywhere near expensive. A lot of these games have hours and hours of gameplay and 95% are between .99 and $5. A brand new game console game will cost you $60 on average.

A functional Calendar app (such as miCal) will run you $4 and can be downloaded among 5 iDevices.
A nice home calendar runs anywhere from $2-$10. Does that calendar go everywhere with you or give you an alert when your forgetting something? Nope. There's only so much space for a pen in those little squares..

Point being, these apps have a ridiculous amount of hours put into them and for the price, they can't be beaten.
They deserve to get paid and lots of them offer free trial versions.

This is why we believe this is a victory.
Less pirate giants around equal more developer involvement and more amazing apps/technologies for us to enjoy. :)

Actually, our policy of refusing to allow piracy discussion does have a positive effect. Although we support jailbreaking, which I'm sure Apple would prefer that we did not (but it's our forum, not theirs), I know for a fact that some Apple Stores have been recommending this forum and iPadForums to their customers. I'm confident that would not happen if there was any safe haven here for pirates.

As has been mentioned, the fight against piracy will continue, but it's not our fight. We just ensure that this forum stays legal. We might not be making a difference when a single mouse click can find alternative places for the information, but we have the moral high ground, and I for one am proud to be on the staff of both forums.

I for one appreciate the policy and it is one of the reasons I signed up in the first place. Allowing discussions on piracy turns the whole community into a different flavored entity, kind of like strippers and drugs in the McDonalds. Sure the food may be the same with the addition of some colorful characters here and there but it changes and suddenly all the dregs start hanging out, graffiti on the walls, your kids can't go there anymore, the food becomes secondary and soon there is no more food to eat, just the bad stuff. Ugh!

It hurts even more when you develop and the changes/app is catching on quick. For $.99 a pop, it's next to nothing compared to eating out at a restaurant and whatnot. You can skip that bottle of Sprite for the day, save your life by not adding those grams of sugar into your system, and enjoy an app. On a large scale, the app a couple of us are maintaining is doing fairly steady. It's not like we pocket the money we make off of the app (okay fine, we'll charge our food bill on the account that receives the payment but that's it :D) , we use that money to invest in improving the server that we're hosting the app on constantly with the growing amount of users. That dollar is the difference between paying the server bills and getting locked out until we do :(

It hurts even more when you develop and the changes/app is catching on quick. For $.99 a pop, it's next to nothing compared to eating out at a restaurant and whatnot. You can skip that bottle of Sprite for the day, save your life by not adding those grams of sugar into your system, and enjoy an app. On a large scale, the app a couple of us are maintaining is doing fairly steady. It's not like we pocket the money we make off of the app (okay fine, we'll charge our food bill on the account that receives the payment but that's it :D) , we use that money to invest in improving the server that we're hosting the app on constantly with the growing amount of users. That dollar is the difference between paying the server bills and getting locked out until we do :(
it's good to get views from someone who is developing apps too,many people don't realise how much effort goes into it and developers have to eat and pay the rent just like the rest of us.

normally it most certainly isn't,however this thread is the exception,you will see that we are talking about the downfall of Installous and hopefully all other means of pirating apps will go the same way,hope that helps :)
The distinction you're making walks a very thin line when you read the actual wording of the rules. I've only been here a short time so I will sit back and watch. Thanks for answering my question.

The distinction you're making walks a very thin line when you read the actual wording of the rules. I've only been here a short time so I will sit back and watch. Thanks for answering my question.
i can understand that some members might be a little confused,our rules on talking about ways of pirating apps still applies even in this thread,we do however think that this thread is warranted.

i can understand that some members might be a little confused,our rules on talking about ways of pirating apps still applies even in this thread,we do however think that this thread is warranted.
okay. thanks. let me test these waters. don't know if it's acceptable to ask this or not. who shut down these pirated app places? was it some government organization? just curious.