What's new

The Downfall of Hackulous/Installous!!!!!

willerz2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the piracy giant for the idevices, Hackulous, has been shut down as of this morning, meaning bye bye to a large portion of the piracy going on. Tried putting the source in in Cydia to see if it's true and it comes out as unable to fetch from the source. With one giant down, I guess it's only a matter of time before the second goes down as well.

Source:Hackulous Left The Scene! Installous 5 has shut down.

Great info Jon!! As I commented on a post someone made in another thread... "This is NOT a victory for Apple. Moreover, it's a victory for our hard working JB Devs! Those whom invest large portions of their free time to create packages & tweaks for our iDevices."

Just a matter of time before a alternative is made.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk

Lol like a forum not allowing post will really make a difference. Sorry just calling it like I see it.

Lol like a forum not allowing post will really make a difference. Sorry just calling it like I see it.
It's not that we're trying to "make a difference." It's simply the grounds of which this forum was built on... that the advocacy of piracy will not be allowed or tollerated. Now, with the demise of Hackulous/Installous/AppSync... of course we're going to gloat about it a little.

Don't get me wrong, though. There will be another spin-off that allows people to continually pirate and/or STEAL the creations of our hard working Devs. All we can do, here at iPhone Forums, is keep things as clean as we possibly can.

Last edited:
It's clear we are on different sides of this. No point in continuing. I am currently going to school as a computer science major. I know how pain staking it can be; but I believe "piracy" can be used for things like trying app out before using it. I have done it a couple time because apple does not have a option for trying a app out and then deleting and not paying of you don't like it. Also I had thought about it, if I ever decide to go in to the mobile dev sector. If I make and release my own apps I plan on putting it up on such things like installous with code change to pop up and remind people yes I know they can get it free but please try it and buy it.

As Bill Gates once said "They'll get addicted, and then we'll collect"

It's clear we are on different sides of this. No point in continuing. I am currently going to school as a computer science major. I know how pain staking it can be; but I believe "piracy" can be used for things like trying app out before using it. I have done it a couple time because apple does not have a option for trying a app out and then deleting and not paying of you don't like it. Also I had thought about it, if I ever decide to go in to the mobile dev sector. If I make and release my own apps I plan on putting it up on such things like installous with code change to pop up and remind people yes I know they can get it free but please try it and buy it.

Wait until you join the working world, create a massively exciting game, and find that 100 people bought it, but 100,000,000 are running it against your servers, then tell me how great piracy is.

Oh yeah, rent is due this month and there is no food in the fridge - cause you have no paying customers.

I agree w/ you... there's no point in arguing the semantics of piracy. However, it boils down to the simple fact that iPhone Forums and it's owners do not allow advocating discussion of piracy.

I'm with you on the "try before you buy" idealism. However, what percentage of users, would you say, actually stick to that?

Wait until you join the working world, create a massively exciting game, and find that 100 people bought it, but 100,000,000 are running it against your servers, then tell me how great piracy is.

Oh yeah, rent is due this month and there is no food in the fridge - cause you have no paying customers.
Very well said, witt!!

Try before you buy is a bit lame in my opinion...

It's not as if we're talking about a lot of money per app....not sure what $0.99 buys these days..? I like(a bit addicted) buying apps from both the AppStore and Cydia....any poor quality apps bought off the AppStore always gets an in depth app review warning others of it's shortcomings.

Some apps in the AppStore do have a try before you buy version....it's the FREE version of the PAID app.

Try before you buy is a bit lame in my opinion...

It's not as if we're talking about a lot of money per app....not sure what $0.99 buys these days..? I like(a bit addicted) buying apps from both the AppStore and Cydia....any poor quality apps bought off the AppStore always gets an in depth app review warning others of it's shortcomings.

Some apps in the AppStore do have a try before you buy version....it's the FREE version of the PAID app.
exactly,i always try the free version and if i like it and find the adds annoying i buy it,its usually just a small amount of money for something that has had a lot of work put into it.

Why is the use of the now defunct pirate site's "name" being allowed on this thread but shut down or moderator edited in other threads? Is this the one sanctioned thread where we can talk about it? I was just surprised by this.