What's new

The "Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on iOS X.X.X" Thread

Much closer and boy did time fly since October when you look back now.

Much closer and boy did time fly since October when you look back now.
LOL!. Yes a good perspective. But a LOT of people have jumped ship with iPhone. I've had every phone since 2G original version. And before iOS 5 we've always had jailbreaks within several weeks to 2 months max. Since iOS 4.2.8 and beyond it's been getting longer and longer. And I'm just reaching a point myself where stock is SO boring and I just don't want to wait 4+ months to get a JB. At this rate we'll have waited half a year from a new phone to get the JB.

And Apple is rumoured, for the 5S, to go back to their original production schedule which releases phones in June, not late Sept/Oct. So the jailbreaking world is falling on hard times I fear. The Note 2 is NOT like the Android phones of even a year ago. They are AMAZING looking and RUNNING. Even the Galaxy III felt like a "toy" to me until I tried the Note 2. Holy hannah - the Note 2 is amazing looking, running and feeling. An iPhone 5 is "standing still" in comparison - withOUT a jailbreak.

Last edited:
iOS 6.1 GM was released earlier today on the 28th. Awaiting the release of RedSn0w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

iOS 6.1 GM was released earlier today on the 28th. Awaiting the release of RedSn0w
I thought it was beta 5, Willerz.. The devs called it beta 5 not GM.

And Greenpois0n will be the injector system this time like it's been for the last 2 JB's. Rendsn0w will have one too - but GP will beat Redsn0w to the punch. ;)

It's beta 5/GM. There's no change in the build between the both. And for users that plan on upgrading to iOS 6.1 or upgrading to any iOS at all, ALWAYS perform a full DFU restore, NEVER perform an OTA upgrade because the APTickets will not match.

It's beta 5/GM. There's no change in the build between the both. And for users that plan on upgrading to iOS 6.1 or upgrading to any iOS at all, ALWAYS perform a full DFU restore, NEVER perform an OTA upgrade because the APTickets will not match.
Yep. Just confirmed it's the real 6.1! It's now available in OWA on our phones! That's good news. Clarify for me, Willerz, when you say DFU restore - doesn't iTunes already put you in full DFU state when you choose Restore in iTunes? From what the devs are saying are we safe to upgrade to 6.1 now? Or should we stay on 6.0.2 for the time being?

Not that I'm aware of. It's a state similar to (if not the same as) Recovery Mode, which is why we have to manually put the device into DFU mode/Pwned DFU mode when we're upgrading/downgrading/restoring to a custom IPSW (whether if it's to preserve the baseband, or a stitched IPSW to upgrade everything as a whole)

Not that I'm aware of. It's a state similar to (if not the same as) Recovery Mode, which is why we have to manually put the device into DFU mode/Pwned DFU mode when we're upgrading/downgrading/restoring to a custom IPSW (whether if it's to preserve the baseband, or a stitched IPSW to upgrade everything as a whole)
But the average person out there has no idea what a Pwned DFU mode is and yet they upgrade successfully and jailbreak just as easily without ever putting the phone into DFU. I've done all my iOS upgrades very simply from iTunes normal mode and have never had a problem come jailbreak time. Downgrading worked easily for me too - since Cydia saved automatically all my SHSH blobs. So I'm not sure we "have to" to use the Pwned DFU to successfully upgrade.

Where can I read more about this process and the "whys and wherefores"? I don't want to get stuck. Thanks for all your helpful info!!

Apple has closed all iOS 6.0.X signings, meaning if you don't have your SHSH Blobs for iOS 6.0, 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 saved already, you're out of luck!!!

Apple has closed all iOS 6.0.X signings, meaning if you don't have your SHSH Blobs for iOS 6.0, 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 saved already, you're out of luck!!!
Cydia automatically saves all past blobs for you. You never need to use TinyUmbrella. I never have and have all my blobs.

That's not always the case. For my old work 4S, Cydia didn't automatically save my 6.0 blobs. It might be because I might not have touched it during the signing period for iOS 6.0 (?). But for my main personal 4S, I had them saved manually (little did I know) 2 days before the release of 6.0.1. Otherwise, I would be running around without my iOS 6.0 blobs ;P But yup. Sometimes it takes a few days or a few tries for Cydia to get your new blobs after the release of a new iOS since the servers are exploding

A fore mention, iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2 and 6.1 all utilize the same IPSW which is iOS 6.0's IPSW

Last edited: