What's new

Last Straw

gadget069

Reaction score
Well I think I'm done with Apple. Starting to get an error for my charging audio adapter. I've been using this same adapter on 10.3.3 and all of a sudden the phone decided it's not an approved device. Sometimes it will give me a warning, sometimes a faint error screen pops up but goes away. Sometimes my phone will charge, as of now it will not with this adapter. I was finally able to catch a screen shot this time.

IMG_1777.jpg

It's most likely that the cable has a flaw or that you may need to perform a hard reset of the phone. Depending on the model, it will be the power and home button or the power and volume down (iPhone 7/7 plus). This will essentially reboot the phone and clear any issues normally. Also check the cable for any nicks or signs of it having been turned too much at the end with the lightning connector on it. I know that some cables I have gotten in the past and including Apple cables, having had issue from the kids having them plugged into the charger and moving about a lot. This coupled with turning the phone over and such, causes the charger cable to get bind at the lightning connector. This may not be the case, but it has happened to me on more than one occasion. Disregard if it's not an authorized apple cable. Hope this helps and hope you get it resolved. If all else fails, hit up a Best Buy or Apple Store as said above. Good day.

Is it an Apple-authorized item? If yes, I would take the phone and the adapter to your local Apple Store and have them resolve the problem. The Store near us usually gets issues resolved very quickly.

Yes it is. The nearest store is 135mi away from me, not going to be anywhere near that place for months.

It's most likely that the cable has a flaw or that you may need to perform a hard reset of the phone. Depending on the model, it will be the power and home button or the power and volume down (iPhone 7/7 plus). This will essentially reboot the phone and clear any issues normally. Also check the cable for any nicks or signs of it having been turned too much at the end with the lightning connector on it. I know that some cables I have gotten in the past and including Apple cables, having had issue from the kids having them plugged into the charger and moving about a lot. This coupled with turning the phone over and such, causes the charger cable to get bind at the lightning connector. This may not be the case, but it has happened to me on more than one occasion. Disregard if it's not an authorized apple cable. Hope this helps and hope you get it resolved. If all else fails, hit up a Best Buy or Apple Store as said above. Good day.

This is an iPhone 7 plus. The phone was bought new in March. The cable appears to be fine. I'll try a hard reset and see if that works, power cycling the phone does nothing. I took a huge gamble switching back to ask iPhone after so many years being on an Android device and I've had nothing but issues. Don't get me wrong I love this phone, but I've never had the issues I've had over the past 4 months than I did with 5yrs using Android.

If this audio adaptor is the one that was was supplied with the phone and it is faulty (rather than worn out), you could contact Apple Support as it would be covered under their year's warranty.

If this audio adaptor is the one that was was supplied with the phone and it is faulty (rather than worn out), you could contact Apple Support as it would be covered under their year's warranty.

No it is not the Apple one, but mfi certified adapter which has worked flawless until recently.

Why wouldn't you use the Apple one that came with the phone?

I'm using an adapter that will charge plus has the 3.5mm jack. I do have 3 of the headphone adapters.

Last edited:
Most likely because it's not an Apple product. Apple is weird about stuff like that. Same with USB adapters. They may work at first, but eventually they don't until you get an actual Apple branded one.

Most likely because it's not an Apple product. Apple is weird about stuff like that. Same with USB adapters. They may work at first, but eventually they don't until you get an actual Apple branded one.
It's worked fine for the last few months, also why would I get a ghosting of the error. Like it wants to give me the error but doesn't. I also don't get the error every time I plug the adapter in.

It's worked fine for the last few months, also why would I get a ghosting of the error. Like it wants to give me the error but doesn't. I also don't get the error every time I plug the adapter in.

I've had USB adapters do that. They'd work for a bit, then stop working. Finally got an official Apple on and no more problems. I don't know if Apple makes what you're using or not. I never use headphone jacks, so never looked into it.

I've had USB adapters do that. They'd work for a bit, then stop working. Finally got an official Apple on and no more problems. I don't know if Apple makes what you're using or not. I never use headphone jacks, so never looked into it.
It was a certified apple adapter. There have been updates that should cause this issue. From what I can find the official Apple adapters are two lighting ports. I don't feel like using 2 dongles for my headphones.

Not to be mean, but it sounds like you have your mind set and at this point switching back may be the only thing that makes you happy.