What's new

Charging problem

MoneyGuy

Reaction score
This seems like a very odd problem. I have an old iPhone 5 and the OS is up to date.

I plug the phone in to charge and the charging icon doesn't show up so it seems not to be charging, although it is. It's been 44% charged for the last two days and that number doesn't change. When I have it on charge it doesn't go up past 44%. When I'm using the phone it still shows 44% even if it's not on charge.

When I set the phone aside the screen never goes completely off. It will dim but it remains faintly on.

Is my phone done? It's very old so may need replacement although I'd hope not to have to replace it. Anyone here heard of this issue?

First, regarding the screen never switching off, have you looked under the Settings for Autolock? It is best to set it at something like five minutes.
Regarding the battery level, you could try a hard reset. You hold down the Power and Home buttons at the same time until the  icon shows, then let go. The phone will reboot.

And don't be afraid to do ^^ it only reboots your phone, your data is not affected

First, regarding the screen never switching off, have you looked under the Settings for Autolock? It is best to set it at something like five minutes.
Regarding the battery level, you could try a hard reset. You hold down the Power and Home buttons at the same time until the  icon shows, then let go. The phone will reboot.
My power button doesn't work or I would have done that.

The screen only started not shutting off when this problem started so I figured they are related.

Update: after three days of not working the phone is now charging with the charge icon appearing again. I don't know what was going on but the problem is solved. Thanks to all. Weird.