What's new

Do I need a new battery?

Snark

Reaction score
I have recently acquired a second-hand iPhone 5s. The battery needs recharging at least twice a day, with only moderate use. I find that the phone gives me no warning of impending battery failure, but when indicating that there is still about 50% charge just suddenly goes "black-screen."
When put on charge it fairly quickly displays a similar amount of charge and then climbs slowly to 100%. Am I right, do you think, in assuming that replacing the battery will solve the problem of sudden failure, and short battery life, or is this an indication of some other fault in the phone? Thanks.

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

A new battery might not be necessary. Before replacing it, try the following:
Use DFU mode and restore it:
DFU Mode for Dummies

That done, charge it completely, then let the battery rund down until it turns off. This will calibrate the iPhone’s battery meter, and help “getting to know” the battery again.

If that doesn’t help, the battery has to be replaced.

Thanks for helping, J.A.
I have done as you suggest with the DFU mode (all new stuff to me), however it seems that Apple are taking this opportunity to make me upgrade to iOS 11 - not something that I had wanted to do. I have reached the stage where the Restore is nearly complete and I have a blank white screen with the words "Press Home to upgrade" at the bottom. Do you think there is any way I can proceed without upgrading to iOS 11?

I am hoping nothing goes amiss with my iPhone 5s
Apple keep trying to get me to move to iOS 11 for some reason.

Apple wants everybody on the latest iOS version their device will support.

Yes your right, it can’t possibly be so that lots of owners have problems with the new iOS.
They think the iOS is perfect and release it maybe?
But one size doesn’t fit all, it’s not possible.
No doubt they are working hard getting it right, after all, who wants to be stuck on iOS 7 or something.
With an iPhone 7 Plus, how boring would that be for the owners.
I am pleased to see that Apple have gone back to the old iTunes Store with Apps. For those that want it. I for some reason did not update.

My iPhone 5s is staying on iOS 10 so far today Apple have left me alone [emoji375]

My 5S is staying on 10.3.3 also. I have had the automatic download twice after accidentally leaving the wifi on over night on charge

Well, having followed J.A.'s advice, and having let a few days pass I have now established that I do need a new battery. The battery is needing a charge by lunchtime, and I have my lunch quite early. So thank you J.A.
I haven't had any functional problems with the IOS 11, although I do resent the way Apple makes the upgrade a one-way street.
Each time there is an upgrade I feel that my phone, (and also my computer), become more and more invasive of my private life. Everyone I speak to seems to feel the same.

^^^ Glad you worked out the battery issue and it was not something worse. I have wondered about my battery in that it does not charge as fast as always even once plugged into the wall. I forget exactly whence I purchased my phone. It must be at least three years ago, though. I think they were coming out with iphone 6 that Autumn, but I do not recall for sure. Are batteries expensive to replace?

As or OS updates, I get a reminder on my computer every single day re upgrading to OS 11. The best choice I have is to "remind me tomorrow." I do find it annoying.

I never planned to upgrade my phone until I had no choice in the matter, but right now, I am thinking about it because I am thinking about discontinuing my ISP. I recall the newer phones (have not looked at them since I bought my 5s), had much larger screens, so perhaps I could rely on a phone more for a while instead of my laptop. If I discontinued my ISP, would my phone still have Internet access at home? I use Cricket Wireless for phone service. Sorry if that is a dumb question, but I really do not know. I thought saving on ISP for a year or so would help me pay for a new iphone.

One other question, who thinks the new iphone is significantly better than the 5s?

^^^ Glad you worked out the battery issue and it was not something worse. I have wondered about my battery in that it does not charge as fast as always even once plugged into the wall. I forget exactly whence I purchased my phone. It must be at least three years ago, though. I think they were coming out with iphone 6 that Autumn, but I do not recall for sure. Are batteries expensive to replace?

As or OS updates, I get a reminder on my computer every single day re upgrading to OS 11. The best choice I have is to "remind me tomorrow." I do find it annoying.

I never planned to upgrade my phone until I had no choice in the matter, but right now, I am thinking about it because I am thinking about discontinuing my ISP. I recall the newer phones (have not looked at them since I bought my 5s), had much larger screens, so perhaps I could rely on a phone more for a while instead of my laptop. If I discontinued my ISP, would my phone still have Internet access at home? I use Cricket Wireless for phone service. Sorry if that is a dumb question, but I really do not know. I thought saving on ISP for a year or so would help me pay for a new iphone.

Last edited:
If you discontinued your ISP, you would not have any internet at home, apart from any mobile data that might be provided on your phone.