What's new

IOS vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skull One said:
That analytical debate is actually kind of funny. Saying Android owns 52% of the market doesn't really mean anything. Lets put this in perspective.

2011 top 5 selling smart phones phones during Q2, via NPD’s Mobile Phone Track service:

[*]Apple iPhone 4
[*]Apple iPhone 3GS
[*]HTC EVO 4G
[*]HTC Inspire 4G
[*]Samsung INTENSITYII

BTW, if you check the yearly numbers, an iPhone has been the top selling phone for the last 3.5 calendar years and for the last 18 months the iPhone has held the top 2 spots.

Now how many Android phones did it take to get that 52%? 170+ made by 32 different manufactures. Hmmm.... I guess if your flood the market with enough low cost devices, someone is bound to buy it. Apple on the other hand doesn't seem to have that issue. They only have used 5 versions of the iPhone to get to 18.2%. OH and the iPhone 5 will be the first truly global iPhone released. I wonder how Androids number are going to do once that happens?

Lol, I knew you were coming. And good point, but I ran across that article on my twitter timeline. Thought I'd throw those numbers in. By the way, when will Apple unveil the new iPhone? Isn't it some time in September? And my last question is, they are releasing iOS5 with the release of the iPhone right? I'm ready to update my iPad 2, try out some of those goodies. I want be able to get the new iPhone until December.

Everything points to a first week of October release. With a possible September announcement. And yes I am 99% sure iOS 5 will release on the same day as the iPhone 5.

Skull One said:
Everything points to a first week of October release. With a possible September announcement. And yes I am 99% sure iOS 5 will release on the same day as the iPhone 5.

Bomber.. I have to wait another month.

marsha7 said:
As I stated in my intro, I am an Android user (HTC Thunderbolt Verizon) and this is my first smartphone, my last phone being an LG Dare.

My friend has an iPhone (my brother, too) which I find quite interesting, and I may want to change, esp after the next gen iPhone comes to Verizon...

Aside from the iPhone being slightly smaller and somewhat lighter, can any former Android user tell me a number of bullet points why they feel the iPhone is better???...you know that the flaws of a product only show up after you have bought it, so I am seeking the positives (and negatives) of the iPhone vs the Android...my TBolt also has 4G, and I do not know what the next iPhone will be...

Lastly, and I appreciate any info you might share with me, I realize that some folks are simply "Apple or die" people, and that's OK, but I really want substantive pros and cons from those who have compared (or owned) the Android and abandoned it for the iPhone and were blown away by the Apple...

Emotions are OK, but I seek real data, if you catch my drift...:):):):):)

I moved from windows mobile to iPhone, having looked hard at both platforms.

For me the iPhones user interface is crisper, my wife's LG500 android phone is awful (IMHO), but that tbh is not a fair comparrison due to cost difference between the two devices.

Biggest hate is the LG Screen feels squishy in use, so you linger a little longer to make it select, which often results in the icon leaving it's folder (uuurgh!).

The range and the sheer quality of ios apps especially for small business users, is a major reason I went apple, I like the fact if you buy an app one the iPhone it can be used on the iPad rt other iPhones at no extra cost, making enourmouse savings.

there were a few things i liked about android better. for instance, i loved the widgets and i hate the fact that i have to use itunes. to me, itunes is cumbersome, and just plain sucks. i prefer the simplistic drag and drop method of the android phones.

but it ends there. every other aspect of the iphone is better then droid.

loco said:
there were a few things i liked about android better. for instance, i loved the widgets and i hate the fact that i have to use itunes. to me, itunes is cumbersome, and just plain sucks. i prefer the simplistic drag and drop method of the android phones.

but it ends there. every other aspect of the iphone is better then droid.

iTunes isn't that bad. 

Yea he's right I tunes does kinda suck at times but apple is deff better then android by far. I mean look at it this way apple is tied to a computer sometimes which sucks but for a good reason I had so much music and apps that I never saved from years before then I got my iPad and I logged in to iTunes and I got it all back u can't do that with an android and yea you can't really customize your ringtones that much and set different text tones besides what apple gives you but that's the fun of jailbraking and android I've figured out from owning not to long ago r becoming the same with the ringtone difference not all but some but u know what I'd still choose apple because it has a cleaner feel and iOS runs and looks alot better not to mention with android pushing phones out everyday they deff are a lot crapier I mean look at how many problems apple has had compared to android that says it all android has phones that just turn off and on by them selfs and battery life is bad and the touch screen goes out now look at apple we had one time when a guys charger for his phone caught fire because of faulty wiring out of millions of users that one time mess up is nothing compared to android.....

sd6854 said:
Yea he's right I tunes does kinda suck at times but apple is deff better then android by far. I mean look at it this way apple is tied to a computer sometimes which sucks but for a good reason I had so much music and apps that I never saved from years before then I got my iPad and I logged in to iTunes and I got it all back u can't do that with an android and yea you can't really customize your ringtones that much and set different text tones besides what apple gives you but that's the fun of jailbraking and android I've figured out from owning not to long ago r becoming the same with the ringtone difference not all but some but u know what I'd still choose apple because it has a cleaner feel and iOS runs and looks alot better not to mention with android pushing phones out everyday they deff are a lot crapier I mean look at how many problems apple has had compared to android that says it all android has phones that just turn off and on by them selfs and battery life is bad and the touch screen goes out now look at apple we had one time when a guys charger for his phone caught fire because of faulty wiring out of millions of users that one time mess up is nothing compared to android.....

I agree with this post. I've had the 3G, 3GS, and iPhone 4 and now have the HTC Inspire 4G. I only bought this android phone because I lost my iPhone. I thought at the time I could wait because the release is normally in June, but it had changed, and I didn't want to pay full price for the 4 when the next model would soon roll out. Besides the Inspire was cheap, but it's an ok phone. But Android Mobile Market is nothing like iTunes. The only thing it keeps record of is the paid apps, and you can't hook it up to a PC and have it automatically install those apps. Well if you go on the web version you can see all the apps you had downloaded. Not to mention trying to get updates for specific phones, it's terrible! The battery life isn't all that, and neither is a lot of the port apps from iOS.

But I do like the customization though, the larger screen, and the widgets. But that's about it. But that's only given my experience with the HTC Inspire 4G, and it's much faster to, I like that also. But I'm sure there are good android phones out there, I hear a lot of good talk about the Nexus, and Galaxy series phones. But when you think about it, there's really only four iPhones compared to over 170+ android phones. How would you know which to pick if you don't know anything about them. The lower end models aren't really all that good you know. To get the best experience you have to choose the right phone. With iPhone the choices are always simple, just like the phone itself.

My sister just bought the htc inspire 4g. The only thing I like about the phone is it's screen.

iCrank said:
My sister just bought the htc inspire 4g. The only thing I like about the phone is it's screen.

It's ok, and takes getting use too. When I first got it, I hated it but as time went on I started liking it. I made me curious about the higher end android phones.

iCrank said:

I hope the new iPhone will at least operate at HSPA+ and not just 3G speed.

p3unit32 said:
I hope the new iPhone will at least operate at HSPA+ and not just 3G speed.

Well I got my wish, the 4S does support HSPA+.

Well I like android for its Widgets, customizations, and notification system. iOS is simpler to use and will have a similar notification system to android when iOS 5 comes out. If you love media then the iPhone is a no brainer due to the incorporation of iTunes. But I do find a larger screen easier to use than the tiny 3.5" currently available on the iPhone. Apple does put out solid devices and they receive updates longer than Android devices only because One iPhone is released per year yet each carrier is launching countless Android devices each quarter. As the new phones come out the older ones some times get neglected. That's not to say that they don't get updated in some form. There is a huge developer support for custom versions of the android OS for multiple phones, with an emphasis on the most popular devices. iPhones do tend to get better battery life than android devices.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quicksilver7714 said:
Well I like android for its Widgets, customizations, and notification system. iOS is simpler to use and will have a similar notification system to android when iOS 5 comes out. If you love media then the iPhone is a no brainer due to the incorporation of iTunes. But I do find a larger screen easier to use than the tiny 3.5" currently available on the iPhone. Apple does put out solid devices and they receive updates longer than Android devices only because One iPhone is released per year yet each carrier is launching countless Android devices each quarter. As the new phones come out the older ones some times get neglected. That's not to say that they don't get updated in some form. There is a huge developer support for custom versions of the android OS for multiple phones, with an emphasis on the most popular devices. iPhones do tend to get better battery life than android devices.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have an android phone too, it's pretty much obsolete, well actually from the beginning. I don't like the Android update system, there's to many phones, to many variations which makes it hard for the average unit to receive quality support. It's like their depending on you to root the phone to keep it updated. Plus I think the apps aren't the same for the phones that aren't rooted. I really had a mediocre experience with Android compared to the iPhone, with both being stock ROM. And flash is not all that either, one of the biggest reasons my phone would lag and crash, the core isn't all that stable either. Programs doing things I didn't authorized, often rebooting without me initiating it. The OS can really be unreliable at times.

I guess if I had the experience that you had things may be different, or if I had the GSII, or this Nexus whatever it's called about to be released with all the super specs. Android hides behind it's hardware, I like iOS because it better software plus Apple has quality hardware too.

Status
Not open for further replies.