What's new

IOS vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone thanks for your input, especially Skull One. It is most helpful. Besides the stability of iOS, doesn't anyone have anything else to add?

Yeah skull one has a lot of information and he's very good at pointing it out..:D don't tell him I said it. Any one of could speak for iOS but the one word that works for all of us is simplicity. It's like we know we're going to get our money's worth when we buy apple products. I absolutely don't feel safe with any android device after all these issues my family is having. Lol

iCrank said:
Yeah skull one has a lot of information and he's very good at pointing it out..:D don't tell him I said it. Any one of could speak for iOS but the one word that works for all of us is simplicity. It's like we know we're going to get our money's worth when we buy apple products. I absolutely don't feel safe with any android device after all these issues my family is having. Lol

I think Apple has much better quality media content. I really haven't experienced any major problems with Android, other than software support.

i feel that ios is better than android because, its just a lot snappier, not as many freezes, or glitches. Also its a lot more user friendly, android can get a bit confusing to a new user, where as ios everything is pretty much straight forward. then again the only android phone ive ever owned was a G1, so its pretty much out dated

iOS 4 is way better than android u get 300,000 and more apps in iOS while there is only 100,000 apps in android. I like the notification bar in android but that feature will also be in iOS 5.

iOS 4 is way better than android u get 300,000 and more apps in iOS while there is only 100,000 apps in android. I like the notification bar in android but that feature will also be in iOS 5.

This statement always makes me laugh a little. Not but because it is right or wrong but because most people that say it have never owned and run both phones side by side with the same exact app load out.

I happen to have a Droid and I still use on a daily basis. The reason for that is simple. The Android OS isn't required to follow a specific guideline for application design. Which equates to better non-gaming applications over iOS. A good example is Weather Bug Elite. The Android version makes the iOS version look like a complete and utter joke. Android has a ton of free "Network Admin" based applications that don't exist on iOS unless you jailbreak the iPhone. Android allows you to run apps from any source without requiring you to jailbreak/root the phone.

Now there is a flip side to that conversation. Android has had to erratic 30+ apps off of its market and remote delete the app because it basically rooted the phone and stole all of the data. The low end estimate was 250K phones were compromised in less than a month.

Now iOS uses a very strict set of rules for design. And that is why gaming, in my opinion, is far superior on iOS. It also helps that iOS is 100% "Native Compiled Code". Android requires a Java based app unless the developer learns to use the NDK (Native Development Kit). That NDK requires the developer then to account for all the differences out there with the phones. And while the Java side handles that part automatically, the draw back is the overhead of the Dalvik VM and sub-optimal code running.

Android requires better hardware specs to keep parity with iOS. This is why Android now requires 1.2Ghz CPUs vs iOS who can do the same exact thing using only 800Mhz CPUs. That says a lot to me as a developer. One is polished while the other one is going to go thru growing pains.

Now here is the real kicker. iOS and Android are both *nix based OSes. I won't get into the esoteric differences of Unix vs Linux but for the sake of this conversation one isn't any better than the other at its core. In fact the only major difference that sets iOS and Android apart is "Event Hooks". Android had them from day one, iOS didn't (realistically) get them till iOS 4. This difference is what gives Android the leg up from a Developer standpoint. And if Google had set a "phone standard" from day one, Android would have eaten iOS lunch inside of its first two years. That's right folks, because Apple has only had 2 screen resolutions and 3 basic CPU/GPU designs, it has maintained the lead as the more profitable OS to developer for. Not because it is the better OS. It was strictly due to the hardware. And if Google and Android ever figure this fact out, iOS won't stand a chance going forward. So be grateful that Android has 170+ different phones on the market vs iO 3 phones. Because that has allowed Apple to fix its short comings over the last two version of iOS (4 & 5).

Last edited:
Oh wait I forgot to mention one other fact about Android. It may have to drop Java integration or pay a huge licensing agreement soon based on a court case currently in progress. Should be interesting to see what Google decides to do. Motorola has decided to hedge its bet that Google is going to lose big time and has started developing its own OS. I can't wait to see what happens when Motorola finally decides to breaks away from Android.

I believe this is the first time I have ever had to quote myself and say "YOU MISSED ONE POSSIBLE OUTCOME YOU BIG *moderated*!".

Google 'Supercharging Android' with Acquisition of Motorola Mobility - Mac Rumors

I never imagined that Google would simply buy Motorola's phone division out to avoid the very condition I was concerned with. I guess the only part I got right was, it was going to be very damaging to Android if Motorola split from Android.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today has been beyond interesting for me. This particular issue started last year and now it seems to be on a collision course with failure.

Many Android makers may have lost Linux rights, face threats | Electronista

The basic synopsis is; Android Phone and Tablet makers haven't followed the original license agreement behind Linux software distribution model. That means the company that makes the phone has one of two choices now.

1) Stop making Android based phones.

2) Release the source for the device.

The custom ROM makers have been slamming the phone makers for years over this fact. Now we are about to see if Android can survive the very rules it setup to play under.

Skull One said:
Today has been beyond interesting for me. This particular issue started last year and now it seems to be on a collision course with failure.

Many Android makers may have lost Linux rights, face threats | Electronista

The basic synopsis is; Android Phone and Tablet makers haven't followed the original license agreement behind Linux software distribution model. That means the company that makes the phone has one of two choices now.

1) Stop making Android based phones.

2) Release the source for the device.

The custom ROM makers have been slamming the phone makers for years over this fact. Now we are about to see if Android can survive the very rules it setup to play under.

Man and you wished that this forum would die. I'm glad it didn't! Your post are very helpful, and informative. Some of the information is new, while other parts my some what familiar with. Android has grown on me, but there was a reason why I couldn't shake iOS.The openness of the Android OS is its biggest enemy. I waited to long in my opinion for gingerbread, where as iOS release are sent to every unit the same day. A few Android fans said its because of all the different models, which is true. But that's Googles problem. I stated iOS had me spoiled, I also found it odd that when you re-install an app it doesn't have the latest update, iOS does. For me, its the simple things. Now my decision is made. By the way. What do you know about Vanilla Android?

I've never wanted this forum to die. I'm a fanboi of iPhoneForums.

I know way too much about stock Android. I worked with three different custom ROM makers over a one year period as a consultant. As well as wrote the book on Overclocking Motorola Droids ( OverClocking 101 ). My current Droid is running ClockworkMod, which is maintained by CVPCS.

It was a design decision of Android to download the last version installed of an application when restoring it. One that I agree with 100%. Since you have to approve each apps permission, if a new version comes out you don't agree to you can then ignore the update. As such the restoration can only install what you have approved otherwise Android would literally be breaking it's own design rules.

Last edited:
Skull One said:
I've never wanted this forum to die. I'm a fanboi of iPhoneForums.

I know way too much about stock Android. I worked with three different custom ROM makers over a one year period as a consultant. As well as wrote the book on Overclocking Motorola Droids ( OverClocking 101 ). My current Droid is running ClockworkMod, which is maintained by CVPCS.

It was a design decision of Android to download the last version installed of an application when restoring it. One that I agree with 100%. Since you have to approve each apps permission, if a new version comes out you don't agree to you can then ignore the update. As such the restoration can only install what you have approved otherwise Android would literally be breaking it's own design rules.

I am a fanboi too...now I just have to go down to google hq and get the CEO in the ankle. Lol, not hard!

iCrank said:
I am a fanboi too...now I just have to go down to google hq and get the CEO in the ankle. Lol, not hard!

Do no evil! (google quote *cough* /sarcasm)!! :D lol!

iPhone 4 16Gb 4.2.8 (jbme 3.0) Moderator @ iPhoneforum staff

Twitter integration, iMessage, and online storage through iCloud makes iOS better choice than Droid.Android still has several features that the iPhone lacks, But upcoming iPhones will have all those features very soon !!!

Twitter integration, iMessage, and online storage through iCloud makes iOS better choice than Droid.Android still has several features that the iPhone lacks, But upcoming iPhones will have all those features very soon !!!

Twitter has been integrated on Android for a year across every phone made. iMessage like programs have existed on Android for over 18 months and are integrated. And iCloud isn't anything to brag about just yet. Android has much better backup utilities for data and if you root the phone, it has better backups than iOS does jailbroken.

And yes, iOS is missing a lot of things Android has. But don't think for a minute Steve Jobs will allow any of them to be added. I'll rattle off a few for fun.

Swype - Apple won't allow users to replace the built in keyboard. EVER.

Widgets - Jobs hates them. Mainly because they are background apps.

Self updating icons - Apple has ONE, the calendar app.

Applications on iOS have to meet a very strict set of design rules. Break one of them and your app doesn't get released. Android allows any design that is possible. Which means the user can find the best app that is tailored for their look and feel.

Don't get me wrong, I love iOS because it WORKS. But Android is the better design on paper. And sometime in the next two years, I expect it to be the better design on working phones.

Skull One said:
Twitter has been integrated on Android for a year across every phone made. iMessage like programs have existed on Android for over 18 months and are integrated. And iCloud isn't anything to brag about just yet. Android has much better backup utilities for data and if you root the phone, it has better backups than iOS does jailbroken.

And yes, iOS is missing a lot of things Android has. But don't think for a minute Steve Jobs will allow any of them to be added. I'll rattle off a few for fun.

Swype - Apple won't allow users to replace the built in keyboard. EVER.

Widgets - Jobs hates them. Mainly because they are background apps.

Self updating icons - Apple has ONE, the calendar app.

Applications on iOS have to meet a very strict set of design rules. Break one of them and your app doesn't get released. Android allows any design that is possible. Which means the user can find the best app that is tailored for their look and feel.

Don't get me wrong, I love iOS because it WORKS. But Android is the better design on paper. And sometime in the next two years, I expect it to be the better design on working phones.

So if you were looking to buy a new phone which would you choose, iPhone or Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.