What's new

Evasi0n7 (iOS 7) Jailbreak Discussion Thread

Quick question, still really new to jailbreaking.

If I jailbreak now, just to look around and see what this is all about, will I have to re-jailbreak when Mobile Substrate is updated? Or is that pushed through a Cydia update?

Nope, it's pushed through Cydia. MobileSubstrate is a package in Cydia. When Saurik updates the current version with a newer version, an update will appear in Cydia that allows you to upgrade the version you're currently running. No re-jailbreaking required.

Bootstrap has worked pretty well for me as Willerz outlined - but it's a little weird and occasionally resprings or reboots on its own -- making you think something else could be wrong. It's not. But there's a new tweak out called MS Cache Fix that does what Bootstrap does - a little more elegantly from what I'm reading. I forget the repo where to get it - and haven't tried myself yet. But what I'm reading is very positive and makes those of using 4, 4S and 5 have a little more success with tweaks based on Mobile Substrate. Right now, with BootStrap, I'm using Gridlock and even Winterboard pretty successfully. There's only one theme out there certified iOS7 ready.. and it's okay so far.. iFile's fine too. All of this on my 4 and 4S.

Heading out to get my Christmas present of a 5S today! Yay!

You may be referring to MS Reload Fix from the http://devbug.me/apt/ repo.

I use my phone for my work e-mail... Exchange specifically and it locks my ability to turn off the passcode unless I ditch the e-mail account. I'm guessing I should do all that since this appears to have a full reboot of the phone involved... is this a recommended or required thing... i.e. no passcode?

It's recommended to the point where it's almost required, because if it fails consecutively several times, you may end up with overlapping and corrupted cache files, which will require a restore of your device prior to jailbreaking. Reason is that it's difficult (if not impossible) to make changes to a locked device, much like how you can't perform a simple restore of a device with a passcode on it by clicking on the Restore button in iTunes.

I use my phone for my work e-mail... Exchange specifically and it locks my ability to turn off the passcode unless I ditch the e-mail account. I'm guessing I should do all that since this appears to have a full reboot of the phone involved... is this a recommended or required thing... i.e. no passcode?

Yes, look at the instruction on the Evasion website at the bottom, they are very specific on what you have to do.

As everyone else has said, yes, you have to turn off passcode to jailbreak.

Also, as an IT manager, when you add your corporate work email to your phone, you loose some ownership of the phone and the content that's work related, if somehow they find out your device is jailbroken, and its against any policy they have, you might find your IT department may remotely wipe your phone (I'm sure there's a tweak to prevent that out there somewhere) and/or reprimand you (again based on company policies).

Also, as an IT manager, I find satisfaction in remotely wiping employees' devices because they failed to abide by company policies regarding devices and mobile email (my company owns the phone), so, just proceed with caution if you are jailbreaking a company owned phone.

With respect to the previous post - as an IT pro myself - there really is no way for us Admins to detect your phone is jail broken. But if we walk by your desk and see lovely theming things on your phone and know the slightest thing about jail breaking well then we can lower the boom.., Muahaha... But there's nothing we can detect thru IP addresses or MAC addresses.

And for what it's worth I did not have to take my passcode off to jailbreak my 5S. It jailbroke perfectly without taking the passcode off.

Last edited:
With respect to the previous post - as an IT pro myself - there really is no way for us Admins to detect your phone is jail broken. But if we walk by your desk and see lovely theming things on your phone and know the slightest thing about jail breaking well then we can lower the boom.., Muahaha... But there's nothing we can detect thru IP addresses or MAC addresses.

And for what it's worth I did not have to take my passcode off to jailbreak my 5S. It jailbroke perfectly without taking the passcode off.

Very true, guess I should have made that disclaimer myself lol there is absolutely not way for us admins to know via IP/MAC addressing tools or anything of the like. We'd have to physically see it for ourselves, but yes, we can most deff drop the boom hammer lol

I have installed bootstrap as per discussion on iPhone 5 7.0.4 but cannot find I file where it tells me it's safe with my phone. Where can I find this please Thanks

I have installed bootstrap as per discussion on iPhone 5 7.0.4 but cannot find I file where it tells me it's safe with my phone. Where can I find this please Thanks

If you've previously purchased iFile, it should still be installable. You can also message the developer with the account information used to purchase iFile previously, and he'll respond with the iFile deb.

If you've previously purchased iFile, it should still be installable. You can also message the developer with the account information used to purchase iFile previously, and he'll respond with the iFile deb.

The version I purchased was for my old iPhone 4. Even if I had to repurchase the problem I'm having is finding one that is safe with my version. Appreciate any help Thanks

The version I purchased was for my old iPhone 4. Even if I had to repurchase the problem I'm having is finding one that is safe with my version. Appreciate any help Thanks

The checker will always say that your iOS is not within the restraint because the checker's not updated for iOS 7.0+, but the latest version out in Cydia will work, which is I believe 1.9.1-1 (off the top of my head). It's partially working because the UDID registration check keeps failing, but you can still use it.

No the jailbreak went well but none of cydia apps work there not updated

That's the confusing part. "Jailbreak not working" would refer to the Evasi0n7 utility. Tweaks not working or incompatible tweaks refers to packages not working properly. The initial post has a Google Spreadsheet with iOS 7 compatibility, and I've added a list for A7 compatibility. Everything is limited at the moment and are buggy.

That's the confusing part. "Jailbreak not working" would refer to the Evasi0n7 utility. Tweaks not working or incompatible tweaks refers to packages not working properly. The initial post has a Google Spreadsheet with iOS 7 compatibility, and I've added a list for A7 compatibility. Everything is limited at the moment and are buggy.

Very limited I'll wait Week until I hear some things off twitter that says it's good again