What's new

Evasi0n7 (iOS 7) Jailbreak Discussion Thread

I have a question. I may have misunderstood some of the tweets/articles I read but from what I gathered Saurik will need to make some tweaks to Cydia and evasi0n will have to repackaged the jailbreak with Saurik's updated files. Meaning you will need to download the jailbreak again and re-jailbreak with the updated files, is this correct? I did the jailbreak on my iPhone 4 but have not done it with my iPhone 5 or my iPad 8 wifi only. Thanks!

In the past, updates to the jail break have been provided via Cydia. Although we don't know how it will be for this one, we're pretty sure it'll be the same.

Which means that no, you shouldn't have to restore and re-jail break.

We'll know more as time goes by...

Marilyn

is this true ?

As far as I understand this, I can't blame saurik for anything. This is how I understand things. Excuse the grammar and this will probably be left deep below the thread since it's a bit late now, but here I go.
Evaders was approached by a chinese company. They were willing to buy the exploits and to sponsor the next ios 7 jailbreak.
Saurik was told about this deal. He thought this all looked suspicious, and told them that he'd try to find a better deal with others chinese companies. Since evaders didn't mention other companies, saurik assumed they were talking only to this Taiga one.
Evaders didn't like any of the other offers that saurik got them. In the end, they grew tired of saurik telling them not to deal with Taiga and told him to stop intervening, going as far as telling him to contact a middeman (some businessman or representative of evaders) if he wished to further suggest anything to the team. Saurik stopped talking to them at this point. Thus, he was never informed that evaders actually improved on their deal with Taiga. They made it clear that they wouldn't be selling the exploits to them, but bundling their app with the jailbreak. And that the app mustn't have any piracy involved.
Saurik was quite disappointed and sad about this, since well, these guys have worked together in the past and are probably in good terms. He was approached by "somebody" or "another team" and asked if he could help them release an ios 7 jailbreak. Thinking that evader's jailbreak was gonna be really dangerous, with all the suspicious chinese company, and the whole "selling the exploits to them" thing, he agreed.
Saurik and this unknown guy/team worked together for about two weeks. At some point, evaders found out that "Saurik was working with somebody to release an ios 7 jb", and they were like damn, if he releases this before us, our deal with taiga won't work. In addition to this, and this comes from Idownloadblog so I have no idea how true this is, supposedly other teams were working on an ios 7 jb using exploits that evaders wants to save for later. Thus, if evaders were the first to release a jb, then the exploits would be safe. Nobody is so idiotic as to release another jb of ios 7 with unused exploits. Probably.
Anyways, evaders rushes the jailbreak, bundles it with the Taiga app, and releases it as fast as it can without warning nobody. Not even saurik, who as creator of Cydia, he really should have been told to prepare beforehand. Plus, it seems that in-between all the rush to code and end the jailbreak, evaders never paid any attention to the newest Cydia bundle and mobilesubstrate that Saurik had been working on, and had given them prior to "stopping all communications between them". Evaders probably knew about this, but they decided they'd first release the "unfinished" jailbreak, then fix it.
So today we got a new jailbreak out of the blue. Saurik is kinda angry that he wasn't told about it, since he's the one in charge of Cydia. He's probably also sad to see this whole drama everywhere in the community. Others devs are getting fed up, such as Wincom, and have said that they quit working on future jailbreaks.
Also, the chinese app supposedly DOES have some piracy stuff. If this is true, then it's a breach of contract with evaders, and they're probably in a good position to release the fixed jailbreak without any Taiga app. Evaders, in all their rush to release this, didn't properly test the app and never saw any of this piracy. So now they're probably mad as well. Saurik is also mad since, well, if the app does have piracy, he did warn evaders before all this started, and he ended being right.
I think that's pretty much it. Evaders probably got paid by Taiga.
IMO:
-Evaders have every right to ask for money for the jailbreak or have a sponsor pay them. They also have the ability to install an app with the jailbreak if they want (though I only approve if it's easy to remove). Leaving all "spirit of jailbreaking aside", they deserve to see some money for their work.
-Evaders made two mistakes. One was rushing the jailbreak. Sure, they wanted to be paid, but this jailbreak isn't any good for either their reputation, Taiga's, or the community's well-being. They probably should have used the latest tools Saurik gave them and they should have checked Taiga's app to see if there was no breach of contract there.
-If it's true that they terminated all communication with Saurik by telling him to only contact them through a middleman, that's a pretty dick move.
Edit: This is all how I understood it, if all comments by both planetbeing and Saurik are true. Of course, there's a chance that evaders don't really care about piracy or Taiga and just wanted the money, or that they and/or Saurik lied about how it all went. You're free to believe what you want.
check this :

http://images.weiphone.com/data/attachment/forum/201312/22/233218ykklkq3zl3c7ck77.jpg

https://twitter.com/pod2g/status/414942393830756352

Last edited:
You can only theme it manually at the moment with the lack of MobileSubstrate and a working Winterboard core. Considering how 9 out of 10 requires MS, anything that's independent on MS, will work. The bare basics are functioning properly like OpenSSH, iFile to an extent, f.lux, and tweaks that hides/shows a hidden feature or an application.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa

Two devs I confer with on other forums actually say Mobile Substrate (0.9.4001) is working just fine / the most recent version at Cydia (which is what we have on jailbreak iOS6 too). It's the individual tweaks themselves needing the work.

Gridlock 2, for example, seems to be working for many on 4 and 4S.. less on 5 and no one it seems on a 5S.. So device matters here too. Others say that after you download a tweak based on MS, reload MS from Cydia and after next Respring some tweaks will work.

It's the early days of a jailbreak. It'll be weird for weeks. But at least we can restore and re-jailbreak as often as we want since 7.0.4 is still being signed.

Last edited:
0.9.4001 doesn't quite mesh completely with iOS 7. It works in the sense that as long as you're not completely relying on MS to consistently run 24/7, the current build will work, but not to the sense that it's problem-less. The tweaks themselves have to to be re-designed in one aspect or another to work with the changes presented on iOS 7. Because of the lack of a 99.9% stable build of MS, it's hard to test tweaks, especially since Substrate Safe Mode devices are not respringing

0.9.4001 doesn't quite mesh completely with iOS 7. It works in the sense that as long as you're not completely relying on MS to consistently run 24/7, the current build will work, but not to the sense that it's problem-less. The tweaks themselves have to to be re-designed in one aspect or another to work with the changes presented on iOS 7. Because of the lack of a 99.9% stable build of MS, it's hard to test tweaks, especially since Substrate Safe Mode devices are not respringing
Yes, Willerz.. Good clarification. Very hard to test tweaks completely. I just didn't want people to be afraid to download a tweak when they saw Mobile Substrate in the list of dependencies and fear that MS itself would make your phone unstable. It won't. It plays just fine with the jailbreak and ios7. In fact without it - tweaks that ARE working like Gridlock 2 wouldn't work without MS.

It's not 100% reliant on calling on MobileSubstrate. Tweaks like Winterboard are 100% reliant on MS (assuming you do a direct port to iOS 7 with no core changes and assuming it still works) will cause safe mode loops.

Has anyone got anything installed in there settings app? I have seen pictures but whenever i download a tweak or an app that should show up in the settings app, it isnt there. Help?

PreferenceLoader issue. Remove PreferenceLoader, and install again. Re-installing using the reinstall option will not resolve the issue, it must be a full removal and a fresh installation.

I did that and I installed it again and then i downloaded Activator and Zeppelin and neither one showed up in settings.

esa2e9az.jpg

i did try to install activator for iOS 7 on iphone 5S but nothing happen