What's new

Backing up after updating

loobs72

Reaction score
Am backing up my phone at the moment after updating to ios5 to the computer, not cloud, and it has been in the syncing data to iPhone mode for 45 minutes now. Does this sound right?

Mine was like that yesterday I gave up. Worked fine today though. I'd try again tomorrow. Backs up in around 15 mins

holophyte said:
Mine was like that yesterday I gave up. Worked fine today though. I'd try again tomorrow. Backs up in around 15 mins

Phew!! Thanks for telling me that. Thought I was going to have to keep 10 hours free. I left it running for 2.5 hours and it was nowhere near halfway.

Here is a trick to speed up the process. First put the cursor on the box (like you are going to drag the box) don't release your cursor, start moving the box around then let go; you will notice the green download bar will advance, keep doing this for about five minutes or so and magically you will complete the download in no time.

loobs72 said:
Phew!! Thanks for telling me that. Thought I was going to have to keep 10 hours free. I left it running for 2.5 hours and it was nowhere near halfway.

You must be in the USA. Which is behind the UK. I did mine yesterday and it stuck for 4 hours. I gave up and went bed. I heard that because everyone is iTunes at the minute it can't cope. When I tried it today whilst most of the USA were in bed it backed up in like 15 minutes. So it must be a demand thing. Just wait until tomorrow and I'm sure it'll be fine. One thing though if you back up as a new iPhone you lose all your data. So I'd back up to a previous date once ios 5 is on. Then you get all your pics back. Or if you want a clean run back up as new iPhone. Good luck!

6 hrs for me started at 12:05am and went to sleep woke up at 6 am "please Restart" after that Ionly had 1/4 ofmy Appson my phone ahhh..........

You must be in the USA. Which is behind the UK. I did mine yesterday and it stuck for 4 hours. I gave up and went bed. I heard that because everyone is iTunes at the minute it can't cope. When I tried it today whilst most of the USA were in bed it backed up in like 15 minutes. So it must be a demand thing. Just wait until tomorrow and I'm sure it'll be fine. One thing though if you back up as a new iPhone you lose all your data. So I'd back up to a previous date once ios 5 is on. Then you get all your pics back. Or if you want a clean run back up as new iPhone. Good luck!

Regarding the original topic, "backing up after upgrading" ----- your 4 hour backing up ordeal was related to the Internet how? I thought that the backup file(s) are located on the hard drive on which iTunes is installed. After the iOS upgrade, how does iTunes and the Internet slow down the backup process if the file is on the PC? Just asking....