What's new

Why Does My Iphone Lose It's APN Settings After Every iOS Update?

5er driver

Reaction score
It's a real PITA to have to re-enter the APN settings after every iOS update. What causes the data loss? I back up the phone (4S) to iTunes and iCloud before each software update and the APN settings don't get copied back onto the phone during the update process. After updating, when I try to use Cellular Data, I have none. Then I realize the APN setting has been screwed with again, all the settings fields are completely blank. Anyone else have this problem after updating the iOS on their phones?

Sent from my iPhone 4S or iPad 3rd gen, whichever I happened to have in my hands at the time, using iPF.net

Same reason why they clear passwords. They are trying secure things and/or get settings back to a known state.

Skull,

I would think the known state is in the back ups. All the other settings on my phone are restored or unchanged after the iOS updates. Do you have to re-enter your APN settings after every software update? I'm wondering if this is across the board or only me having the issue.

Sent from my iPhone 4S or iPad 3rd gen, whichever I happened to have in my hands at the time, using iPF.net

APN = Access Point Name. And all the data disappears from my phone after updating the iOS.

$image-3936298004.jpg

$image-1692291136.jpg

$image-3310047515.jpg

dbplumb said:
Could it be a carrier thing cos I never have to re-enter anything. In fact since getting a new sim going from a 4 to my 4s I don't even have that page available any more

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Yes it is directly related to your carrier. If you want to use your iPhone on a carrier that is not official such as tmobile, simple mobile, straight talk then you need to edit apn settings in order to have full access. Editing apn settings enables you to use data and mms on your iPhone when not on an official carrier.

dbplumb said:
Yes my carrier was not an official one until the 4s was released

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

If you have an official carrier then you shouldn't have to worry about it. Knowledge is power though. I personally do not like contracts and the whole contract thing so I use straight talk (45$ a month unlimited everything). Prepaid has definitely saved me literally over 1k each year.

hookbill said:
I can't find that on my phone. In network on my phone it just says Verizon and I can't go anywhere after that.

You don't need to edit apn settings if you are on verizon. You already have data and mms working right?

tortelliniguy said:
If you have an official carrier then you shouldn't have to worry about it. Knowledge is power though. I personally do not like contracts and the whole contract thing so I use straight talk (45$ a month unlimited everything). Prepaid has definitely saved me literally over 1k each year.

I use non official carriers, Simyo in Germany and Straight Talk in the U.S. I don't mind having to change the APN settings when swapping the SIMs, but it torques me that every time I update the phone's iOS these settings are erased and I have to re-enter the data even though it has been backed up.