What's new

With ios 6 available can one upgrade to ios 5.1.1?

pravin2k

Reaction score
I bought iPhone 4 last year Never upgraded the os since then. Considering upgrade now. With google map app not available on iOS 6, I was thinking of upgrading to iOS 5.1.1. Is it possible? Can I still download iOS 5.1.1?

Appreciate suggestions, pointers etc

Thanks

Apple is no longer "Signing" iOS 5.1.1. The only way to restore/update your phone to that iOS version is if you have SHSH's saved for it. If you don't have them manually saved via TinyUmbrella or were Jailbroken & running Cydia at the time 5.1.1 was being signed... there's no way for you to update to 5.1.1. Sorry....

Thanks Thomasjtsi for the quick reply.

I guess then upgrade to iOS 6 is the only option. Are you aware of any other concerns in upgrading? Does google maps app stops working altogether?

Thanks again for your help

The google maps app doesn't even exist w/i iOS 6. Apple introduced their own In House maps app... that does work somewhat similar to Google maps. Just w/ a different interface. Google is working on a Maps App for the app store... but hasn't presented it to Apple yet from what I understand.

I guess existing google map app on my phone will also not work once I upgrade

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

What else did iphone for on ios6 cant do? I hear theres no panorama option for iphone4 user??

There is no panorama no Siri. No 3d maps or flyover. I don't think I have missed anything out.