What's new

WiFi issue

Stan1911

Reaction score
Yesterday all was well. Today my WiFi wasn’t connecting to the internet. Iphone8+ not connecting. Smart TVs not connecting. Rebooted modem, ran thru Centurylink auto fixit routines & rebooted modem 3-4X. Thought about buying new phone. Checked modem settings (192.168.0.1). TVs started connecting, android tablet connects. Only my Apple 8+ & IPad Air still not connecting. Stumped.

I assume that you have tried a soft restart on the phone and iPad. (Power and home button until Apple symbol appears).

Are you linked to the correct network signal? I use BT in the UK (I do not know where you are.) The router gives out three network signals. Two for other BT broadband roaming users to access, the third my internal ‘home’ network. I used to find that on restarting my iphone and iPad, they locked onto the wrong network signal. This fooled me for a while. There was the wifi icon on the device, but no connection. Checking the Settings/ WIFI network named revealed the answer.

Found the issue. Reason only my 2 Apple devices were affected was installation of a VPN app. Troubleshooting with an Apple tech showed that even though my phone hotspot was turned off my tablet was still extremely slowly downloading webpages. Apparently the VPN app affected downloads to an extent they were glacially creeping along. After deletion of the VPN app, everything returns to normal, I started seeing the Wi-Fi symbol at top status bar & function resumed normally on both devices. I never installed that app on my android tablet or smart tv (not possible) so they were not affected.

You ou could try another VPN app to see if the problem was restricted to that app or affects all VPN apps.

This is the 2nd VPN I tried. 1st one slowed down DLs & did not connect with some sites. 3rd time’s a charm so will try another service%