What's new

Why are there no decent Photo Managers with decent sync

damoskee

Reaction score
This is driving me crazy.

I organise all my photos by folder (2011/Beach, 2001/Surfing, etc), and often I like to sequence them as well - usually by renaming the files in order (eg. Beach01, Beach02), etc.

So - I gave up on iOS5 albums when I realised it still wouldn't give me any workflow; I couldn't actually MOVE the photos from the Camera Roll to the album, so I'd still have to spend time sorting out the camera roll at some point. So I started looking for offline photo managers - something to download photos from the Camera Roll to the app, sort, edit, rename, organise in folders... and then sync them back to my PC for archiving.

However - not one app does this. They seem to be broken into 2 camps:
- Offline Photo Managers, that organise the photos on your phone, but can't sync them back (ie. no Dropbox/etc)
- Dropbox syncing tools, that stream/sync your Camera Roll to Dropbox, but don't let you organise them.

I've tried some of the best-rated apps for this: MyPics, Photo Manager Pro, Secret Folder, Web Albums, Photopod... none actually provide me everything to automagically get my photos off the iPhone onto a desktop.

D

hi, i had the exact same problem. i have a solution now though; i use photo manager pro , and sync it with FTP but not with filezilla like they recommend, i use syncback. and it does exactly want i wanted, any changes i made on my PC are synced right to my ipad. it also has various options for the syncing. it really helped me :)
i noticed you post this on 2011 though, and i was wondering maybe you already find a solution? if it's easier than what i'm doing now please let me know :)

thanks

Hi!

Yep, I'm a syncback fan as well, have used it for years, and did with this. At the time, they had those sync issues with large files that meant they never completed, and also couldn't rename/etc. files. I think they've fixed many of those, so it could perhaps now be an option. Dropbox, etc is, of course, ideal, but I might try it again with Syncback.

Does it work reliably for you? On big files too?

D

yep, so far syncback works well for me; and as for dropbox etc, i use the free version of sugarsync and it only gives me 5gb and mainly i used it for documents (it works magic with docs 2 go btw) :D

i consider syncing my photos with sugarsync but internet in my country is slow and it would take forever to regularly upload & download them :(

oh and btw so right now you sync your photos to ipad with dropbox? i REALLY hope someday near apple will support subfolder, i really wondered why they haven't done that. it would be easier for many of us, right? :)

Hi again there,

I just googled this topic again, and ironically came across my own post here! I guess not too many people are looking for this functionality!

Anyway - I've been looking again, and still, nothing! Even the app named Photosync, doesn't actually sync!

Amazingly, the only Photo Manager that does this job... isn't a photo manager at all. Goodreader is focused around PDFs, but it includes full 2-way sync with many sync apps like Sugarsync and Dropbox. So you can specify a sync folder in Sugarsync, and it will sync all the subfolders and contents there. You can also do slideshows, move, rename, etc. You can't edit anything, but I just tested opening a photo in Goodreader, in iPhoto, and it worked... I edited it, and then sent the edited file from iPhoto back to Goodreader, and that also worked, and it kept the same filename throughout (so I guess you can overwrite the unedited photo).

Anyway... Snapseed, Photos+, Camera+, etc. etc. etc... none of these permit a simple two-way sync with a cloud folder structure, least of all Photo Manager Pro.

D

I just go with Dropbox, of which I've gotten up to 18gb free. More than sufficient for me.

hi again! that's right, i browsed for a long loooong time trying to find a solution but can't find any! this conversation is the BEST answers i get :D anyway, thankyou so much for taking your time to post again here, very helpful! as i got more photos, it also create more problems syncing with photo manager pro and i need a simpler solution. i was considering photosync though, why is it doesn't actually sync?
but i'm gonna try goodreader! once again many thanks to reply again, really really appriciate it :)

This thread is depressing :/

After I started reading it, I gained hope and confidence that I would find the solution we are all looking for. All I want is to be able to organize my images into albums, and not have them remain in the parent Camera Roll. I really, really miss QuickPic on my Thunderbolt.

Is there possibly a JB app that allows this (seeing as how there are JB apps that seem to allow to manage file and folder structures)?

This thread is depressing :/

After I started reading it, I gained hope and confidence that I would find the solution we are all looking for. All I want is to be able to organize my images into albums, and not have them remain in the parent Camera Roll. I really, really miss QuickPic on my Thunderbolt.

Is there possibly a JB app that allows this (seeing as how there are JB apps that seem to allow to manage file and folder structures)?

You can if you really feel that is necessary. Move all photos out of the camera roll and on to a PC. Organize those photos into folders on the PC. Use iTunes to resync those folders back to the phone.

The draw back to that is you will not be able to delete the folder except thru iTunes.

Thanks for the response and info. Way too much work for something that should be manageable on the device, but again, thanks for the input.

Check it! - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/j...s-70/photoalbums-question-after-update-53589/

Photo Organizer is a JB tweak that accomplishes this! Skull One, I'm surprised you weren't aware of this!

It would be nice for this to automatically prompt you with you an option to remove the photos from the Camera Roll after adding to an album, but I'm going to donate and then submit that request. Though you can remove photos from the Camera Roll after adding to a new or existing album, and they stay in that album. Woo hah!

Photo Organizer is a JB tweak that accomplishes this! Skull One, I'm surprised you weren't aware of this!

If I were to jailbreak my phone, I probably would be aware. Since I don't, it isn't reasonable to expect me to learn a system I don't use.

Photo Organizer is a JB tweak that accomplishes this!
Looks like I have to Jailbreak my iphone 5S just to have reasonable photo management ?

My main need is delete picture and videos from my phone ... after I make sure I have copies on my PC.

The more organized the better.

I'll bet alot of photo have been lost over the years because of the lack of robust photo sync tools.

Last edited by a moderator: