What's new

Why are callers being told that my iPhone is turned off?

jmt356

Reaction score
Why are callers being told that my iPhone is turned off? It is on and I can make calls, but I cannot receive calls.

Why are callers being told that my iPhone is turned off? It is on and I can make calls, but I cannot receive calls.
Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to bring up the control centre. Is the crescent Moon button illuminated? If it is, the Do Not Disrurb feature is turned on and callers won't get through to you. Turn it off by tapping it and see if that helps.

The crescent moon button is not activated. Any other possible causes?

Do you have blocked telephone numbers? Check this in Settings - Phone - Blocked.
Another place to look at, would be Call Forwarding in Settings - Phone. It should be disabled.

Make sure your iPhone is up to date.
Check for a carrier update: go to Settings - General - About. If an update is available, you'll get a popup or notification.

The issue is with all phone numbers; none can get through to me.
There are no phone numbers under Settings | Phone | Blocked.
Settings | Phone | Calling Forwarding is set to off.
Under Settings | General | About, I see my Network and other data but no option to update my carrier and there was no pop-up or notification.
There is an option under Settings | General | Software Update to update to iOS 9.1. I am not sure if that will impact my ability to receive calls.
The issue is definitely with my iPhone; not my SIM card. When I put my SIM card in another phone, it can receive calls. When I put another SIM card in my phone, it cannot receive calls.

If we can't find out what's preventing your iPhone from receiving phone calls, try resetting all settings.
This is in Settings - General - Reset. Make sure you do not choose "Erase all content and settings", that would remove every information from your device.
Reset all settings will revert your settings to default, and you'll have to set up your Wi-Fi once more, e.g..

If resetting all settings doesn't work, you should consider taking it in for a Genius Bar appointment at the closest Apple Store. They could run a free diagnostic to see exactly what is causing the problem.

Have you given your wireless carrier a call? The problem could be at their end.

I do not believe I can get a genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store because I bought my phone in one country and am using it in another. Wouldn't the iPhone's warranty only work in the country in which the iPhone was purchased?

I do not believe the issue is with the wireless carrier because my SIM card works fine in another phone, and another SIM card that works in another phone does not work when placed in my iPhone.

If your wireless company does not know that you are using this iPhone it may not work even though the SIM card works in other phones. It is worth a call to them.

I reset the iPhone. This resolved the issue with respect to receiving incoming calls, but I lost: my background, all of my alarms, my Wifi, my security code and fingerprint and 4G was activated.

That was expected. Reset all settings sets your settings back to default. It's better than erasing and restoring it, because that would remove everything.

I do not believe I can get a genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store because I bought my phone in one country and am using it in another. Wouldn't the iPhone's warranty only work in the country in which the iPhone was purchased?

I do not believe the issue is with the wireless carrier because my SIM card works fine in another phone, and another SIM card that works in another phone does not work when placed in my iPhone.
In regards to Genius Bar appointments, I bought my iPhone in Canada and had no trouble getting a Genius Bar appointment and a repair while on vacation in the United States. It wouldn't hurt to ask, just in case you need service in the future.

I just restored a backup of my iPhone 4 to my iPhone 6. My background and all of my alarms were restored. However, I had to go through the entire set up (Wifi, Siri, iCloud, fingerprint, etc.) again.

I went back and did another restore from my iPhone 4 and the problem with respect to the phone always being off returned. Apparently, the issue is with the iPhone 4 backup being restored to my iPhone.
As a result, I went ahead and restored the backup of the iPhone 6 that I took after I reset the phone. When I restored the backup of the iPhone 6, I was able to receive calls.