What's new

white screen after changing digitiser

steve99750c

Reaction score
hi guys

my son smashed the screen on his 3gs,the phone still worked fine apart from the crack,
so i changed the screen,ive done a few before with no issues,i checked connectors 1,2 and 3 and all were securely fastened down,when i turn the phone on all i get is a white screen?i thought the digitiser was faulty so i put the damaged screen back on the phone,switched it on and that was white too even though it still worked before when still smashed,i have checked all connectors and they are fine,the phone was brand new at christmas,i've tried doing a hard reset and also put the phone in dfu and restored through itunes but its still white,the phone works as i can hear the itunes squeak when i plug it in....please help

make sure all connectors are clean and have no skin oil on them. I would normally say that one of the connecters is damaged, but you said they were fine when you checked them. However..........Check them again. Make sure they are not pulled out a little farther then they should be. Make sure they are seated correctly and especially check connecter 3.

Before you do anything try this:

press home button, then press volume up button, then press sleep/wake button, in that order an keep holding them until your phone rebbots.

If this keeps happening then you will need to remove all the internal screws and lift bottom of motherboard so it leaves battery connector .

Like lift the motherboard up just enough to take out all of the internal screws. Then replace the screws and reconnect everything. I know it kinda makes no sense to take all the screws out from underneath the motherboard just to put them back....................But it works. Makes sure all cables and connectors are secured just as they were.

Basically.........Just disconnect everything you can get away with by lifting up the motherboard, and reconnect everything. After everything is put back together your phone should boot up normally now.

And try the button thing if you keep getting the white screen after reconnecting everything. Always try this before taking it apart again.

Post back. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited:
hi
thanks for your reply
i've already tried the button thing with the up volume button etc but no avail,i have also tried lifting the motherboard off the battery connector and replacing everything,what would you reccommend to clean the connectors with? as that's the only thing i haven't tried yet

thanks steve

steve99750c said:
hi
thanks for your reply
i've already tried the button thing with the up volume button etc but no avail,i have also tried lifting the motherboard off the battery connector and replacing everything,what would you reccommend to clean the connectors with? as that's the only thing i haven't tried yet

thanks steve

Just water. A drop. Then dry thoroughly. With a lint free cloth.