What's new

Wheres my storage gone?

galaxyman

Reaction score
I have an iphone4, 8gb running on iOS 5.1.1. I have a few apps, 46 singles ( music) and a few photos. A couple of days ago I had 3.1gb of space available, then today, all I a sudden I have 1.6gb available, 4.8used! I added up the values in the 'usage' menu from my downloaded apps and it came to approx 1.75gbs used. To achieve this total I added the values and divided by 1024, think that's right? So assuming I remember right about the available space to me a couple of days ago (3.1) and the space available now (1.75) I appear to have lost 1.35gbs, where could this have gone??? Please throw any suggestions, I'm a bit OCD about this sort of thing and have found comfort in trying to keep my available space around the 3gb mark. Thank you

SMS, incomplete downloads to name some of the hidden things

I would be into housekeeping, I delete all SMS that I don't need, at the moment my inbox is empty. I would clear down safari pages and clear history after each session. What about gmail, i move all spam to bin and empty bin only keeping important mails in folders, does this add to my storage?

I would be into housekeeping, I delete all SMS that I don't need, at the moment my inbox is empty. I would clear down safari pages and clear history after each session. What about gmail, i move all spam to bin and empty bin only keeping important mails in folders, does this add to my storage?

I just want to talk to you about Gmail. Gmail is not stored on your phone at all. It goes to the gmail server and picks up the information there, downloading accordingly, in other words, if you need to look at later mail it will get it for you.

Once you close gmail it only goes to check new mail. If you open all mail it will load it as it comes in starting from the top.

Unfortunately the only thing I know of other than the jailbreaking option mentioned is to backup your phone and do a clean restore on it, then put your settings back on.

rpmtech said:
Unfortunately the only thing I know of other than the jailbreaking option mentioned is to backup your phone and do a clean restore on it, then put your settings back on.

Thanks guys for all your help.
Rpmtech, how do I do above? I would be very green to all this!

Try this:
open iTunes, plug your phone in, power down your phone while still connected to iTunes. Give it a few seconds(10), and power on your iPhone. Before you do all of this, take note how much "Other" space is clogging up your iPhone. It will decrease after you do what i just mentioned.

Hopefully, you will be able to get some space back. It works for me every time on my iPhone/Ipad.

Would a pending update have anything to do with my missing storage? See screen shot below

$image-2465227435.jpg

Change wording col admin

So so sorry, that should be 'shot', ooops

No. Not unless you've downloaded some of it and paused it before it's finished. Plus, the iOS 6.0.1 OTA update is small compared to the normal "active" iOS's that we're using (iOS 5+) because it's only a hotfix. But since you see the little '1' badge on your Settings.app, that means you haven't started downloading any of it.