What's new

Where's iCloud for 4.2.8?!

Pretty sure that VZW's approval process has nothing to do with it, since from what I understand Apple is completely responsible for the Q&A process. That was part of the agreement before Apple would even consider releasing an iPhone on Verizon's network. Same reason you don't see VZW bloatware on iOS.

I am pretty sure that the main cause of the delay is due to Apple's limited experience working with the Qualcomm baseband that is used in the CDMA version of the device. And I have read that the delay in 4.3.x is due to the fact that for whatever reason, Apple decided to wait on Qualcomm to release new device drivers for the baseband chipset.

I can only assume that the beta iOS 5 for CDMA uses the same baseband software as 4.2.8; and that they plan on having the updated drivers in hand soon enough to incorporate them into the shipping version of iOS 5.

I am getting pretty damn sick of the GSM version getting new features while the CDMA version is stuck on an old OS, though.

IF they can release iOS 5 beta with the 4.2.8 baseband then why can't they release 4.3.3 with the 4.2.8 baseband? Esp since the iOS 5 code is built upon the 4.x code base. That is a slight hole in your theory.

Verizon Q&A is involved. Verizon never lets an outside company dictate directly to them concerning policy. You either pay VZW off or you play by their rules. Been a customer with them since the very first day they started doing business in Texas and that one fact about them has been constant for over a decade.

Skull One said:
Yes I have. I am still very active as a sounding board to Android Developers and ROM makers.

Motorola forced the release of the Thunderbolt before it was ready. VZW delayed it for two months because of even bigger issues than you are seeing now. So yes VZW does have solid Q&A requirements. But those usually die the second someone says "If you don't release this, it will cost you more money then if you release it buggy".

Why would Moto force the release of the Thunderbolt if its an HTC phone?

My bad... I was involved in a discussion at the time I was posting about Gingerbread on the DX and a new tactic to get past an init issue on boot. So I had Motorola on the brain.

You are very correct. HTC forced the issue. And they forced it because they wanted it out before the end of the first quarter. The original internal launch was Jan. It was moved by VZW to Feb. It slipped a second time to March. And that is when HTC threatened them with charges if they missed another launch date.

Hope to have my Dev credentials by tomorrow afternoon so I can install the Beta after work and see if VZW will be removed from the equation.
How and where do you apply for that? Is it easy to get?

IF they can release iOS 5 beta with the 4.2.8 baseband then why can't they release 4.3.3 with the 4.2.8 baseband? Esp since the iOS 5 code is built upon the 4.x code base. That is a slight hole in your theory.

Verizon Q&A is involved. Verizon never lets an outside company dictate directly to them concerning policy. You either pay VZW off or you play by their rules. Been a customer with them since the very first day they started doing business in Texas and that one fact about them has been constant for over a decade.

I am assuming that iOS 5 beta is using the same baseband as 4.2.8; since I haven't seen anyone mention anything different. If not, it could also be running beta baseband code, and theoretically beta Qualcomm drivers (which would be okay since it is a beta). I do know that the last known reason alluded to for lack of a 4.3.x release is that Apple was "waiting for Qualcomm to release new device drivers". Perhaps they just didn't want to release a "final" 4.3.x build with "outdated" drivers, who knows? No one can figure out what is going on at Apple behind the scenes.

As for the Q&A policies, these have somewhat changed since the original Motorola Droid was released as a "Google Experience" device. It was a bit inaccurate for me to say that Q&A is completely out of the equation, as it is not. Verizon still has to ensure that the baseband code plays nice with its network (as do the GSM carriers that offer the GSM version). But the device manufacturer is responsible for testing the OS itself, be it Motorola or Apple. Long story short, VZW is nowheres near as stringent on the software side as it used to be (example: if things were the way they used to be, the iPhone would be loaded with bloatware from VZW right out of the box)

Verizon was finally allowed to offer the iPhone because after years of resistance, they finally gave into Apple's demands that they (Apple) be allowed full control over the device. Verizon was actually Apple's first choice for the iPhone, however, at the time they wanted to have strict control over the device; so Apple went to AT&T instead.

The thing with Apple is, no one knows what they are up to (or why) until they finally release something. All my above comments are speculation based on the past history of the Apple/VZW relationship. To be perfectly frank, we will never know the REAL reason for the CDMA 4.3.x delay unless Apple actually comes right out and tells us. I am thinking that the current (non-beta) Qualcomm drivers have some sort of issue that would cause problems with one or more of the features of 4.3.x - one theory I have is that perhaps they cause issues with Airplay video streaming enhancements.

EDIT: And if what you are speculating is true, and VZW really is playing hardball with Apple over control of the OS, then unfortunately I see their relationship being very short lived. Apple isn't particularly fond of other companies telling them how their software should work, and i'm sure if VZW makes them mad enough, they'd be more than happy to offer the CDMA iPhone on another carrier such as Sprint.

Last edited:
I would have to agree, I am a new customer to Verizon and only had my iPhone 4 for two months. I hope Apple and Verizon can work things out quickly. I hate AT&T and don't want to go with them.

Actually the only difference between the two versions is the Radio Device Driver code and the fact that VZW requires a Q&A lock down step for all software releases. VZW has pissed off a lot of customers both in the iPhone and Android community because of their "Q&A" requirements.

Pretty sure that VZW's approval process has nothing to do with it, since from what I understand Apple is completely responsible for the Q&A process. That was part of the agreement before Apple would even consider releasing an iPhone on Verizon's network. Same reason you don't see VZW bloatware on iOS.

I am pretty sure that the main cause of the delay is due to Apple's limited experience working with the Qualcomm baseband that is used in the CDMA version of the device. And I have read that the delay in 4.3.x is due to the fact that for whatever reason, Apple decided to wait on Qualcomm to release new device drivers for the baseband chipset.

I can only assume that the beta iOS 5 for CDMA uses the same baseband software as 4.2.8; and that they plan on having the updated drivers in hand soon enough to incorporate them into the shipping version of iOS 5.

I am getting pretty damn sick of the GSM version getting new features while the CDMA version is stuck on an old OS, though.

So! Just so I know and I don't get my hopes up. VSW will get the iOS5 and get updated just like AT&T because I am frustrated with being one step behind gsm iPhones and it sucks?

So! Just so I know and I don't get my hopes up. VSW will get the iOS5 and get updated just like AT&T because I am frustrated with being one step behind gsm iPhones and it sucks?

As far as I can tell iOS 5 for the CDMA and GSM are the same. Which shows Apple is keeping parity as of right now.

So it's a week after all the iCloud goodness was announced and still no move for the Verizon iphone customers. This pains me deeply. Fragmentation is why Android stinks. This is crap. Get it together Apple and VZW. I don't care whose to blame. Fix it! New features are rolling out? We pay just as much as the AT&T people if not more. We deserve the same treatment!

So it's a week after all the iCloud goodness was announced and still no move for the Verizon iphone customers. This pains me deeply. Fragmentation is why Android stinks. This is crap. Get it together Apple and VZW. I don't care whose to blame. Fix it! New features are rolling out? We pay just as much as the AT&T people if not more. We deserve the same treatment!

Hoo there we go. I think the iOS 5 and all the services it offer will be release at the same time for both gsm and CDMA phones.

@Dave12308

I do know that the last known reason alluded to for lack of a 4.3.x release is that Apple was "waiting for Qualcomm to release new device drivers".

I belive this to be true from what I've read. It's looking like iOS 5 will see the end of fragmentation between both iPhones...

@Dave12308

I do know that the last known reason alluded to for lack of a 4.3.x release is that Apple was "waiting for Qualcomm to release new device drivers".

I belive this to be true from what I've read. It's looking like iOS 5 will see the end of fragmentation between both iPhones...

That's exactly the same thing I'm thinking. I don't believe the 4.3 iOS will ever see the light of day on Verizon. I think they will simply hold off until iOS 5 rather than have a substantial update and then 4 months later release a major update.

One of the things I believe I remember seeing was something to the effect of a dual band chip going in the new iPhone so it would essentially be the same phone for AT&T and Verizon. Helping ease the fragmentation and making it easier to upgrade all at once.

Don't quote me on the last part as I'm not positive I read that correctly, but I'm pretty sure I did.

I'm sure I read that the next phone will be the same for verzion and AT&T.

Also it looks like verzion aren't too keen on the new over the air update feature for iOS 5. So we could see that's missing on the CDMA iPhone. At least over 3G...

I'm sure I read that the next phone will be the same for verzion and AT&T.

Also it looks like verzion aren't too keen on the new over the air update feature for iOS 5. So we could see that's missing on the CDMA iPhone. At least over 3G...

Verizon has gotten notorious for biting off their nose to spite their face in reference to control of the phones. Some control is good, but sometimes they get way out of hand. The best way to handle the OTA updates would be to set up an option where it can only be done via wifi. But I honestly don't think it will be necessary since the incremental updates Apple is talking about now honestly shouldn't be anywhere near as big as they currently are. Not to mention, Android's use a lot of bandwidth, especially with the newer versions that automatically reload all of your apps when you reset your phone via 3G. That size easily eclipses the iOS updates on downloads.