What's new

Where's iCloud for 4.2.8?!

Ponderous

Reaction score
Ok my iPad 2 with 4.3 now has love from the newly released iCloud. Where's the love for us Verizon iPhone users? Is it me or are routinely being sloppy seconds around here?

Took me a second to figure out what you meant by your third sentence, but yes, CDMA iPhone's have been the ugly step child due to VZW lack of commitment to proper updates. The good news is the CDMA iOS 5 beta is available which means this trend may soon end.

Skull One said:
Took me a second to figure out what you meant by your third sentence, but yes, CDMA iPhone's have been the ugly step child due to VZW lack of commitment to proper updates. The good news is the CDMA iOS 5 beta is available which means this trend may soon end.

That sounds promising. I love my iPhone just wish there wasn't the lag to vzw. Feels like the woes of my old Droid.

Hope to have my Dev credentials by tomorrow afternoon so I can install the Beta after work and see if VZW will be removed from the equation.

That's fine. I don't mind waiting, but it pains me that once again functionality is pushed to the AT&T version first.

I thought iPhone didn't have a fragmentation problem?

I thought all iPhone got updated at the same time?

I thought iPhone didn't have a fragmentation problem?

I thought all iPhone got updated at the same time?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

iPhone 4 CDMA is on version 4.2.8. iPhone 4 GSM is on version 4.3.2 if memory serves.

This should change though based one what I am seeing at the Apple Developer website.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

iPhone 4 CDMA is on version 4.2.8. iPhone 4 GSM is on version 4.3.2 if memory serves.

This should change though based one what I am seeing at the Apple Developer website.

The gsm is on version 4.3.3 and this is not going since CDMA is not GSM and GSM is not CDMA. The way they operate are not the same so...

The gsm is on version 4.3.3 and this is not going since CDMA is not GSM and GSM is not CDMA. The way they operate are not the same so...

Actually the only difference between the two versions is the Radio Device Driver code and the fact that VZW requires a Q&A lock down step for all software releases. VZW has pissed off a lot of customers both in the iPhone and Android community because of their "Q&A" requirements.

But now that the iOS 5 beta is the same for both phones, I believe Apple has finally put their foot down with VZW. Which hopefully means VZW will no longer have to sign off on iOS upgrades.

I actually wasn't making a joke....I was under the impression that all iPhone got an update at the same.

I've heard people with iPhone rag on android for the fragmentation problem for the longest time.

I'm still ditching this pos thunderbolt for an iPhone as soon as I can. IOS 5 looks much improved

Q & A requirements?

Have u seen the problems with the thunderbolt?

Q & A requirements?

Have u seen the problems with the thunderbolt?

Yes I have. I am still very active as a sounding board to Android Developers and ROM makers.

Motorola forced the release of the Thunderbolt before it was ready. VZW delayed it for two months because of even bigger issues than you are seeing now. So yes VZW does have solid Q&A requirements. But those usually die the second someone says "If you don't release this, it will cost you more money then if you release it buggy".

Actually the only difference between the two versions is the Radio Device Driver code and the fact that VZW requires a Q&A lock down step for all software releases. VZW has pissed off a lot of customers both in the iPhone and Android community because of their "Q&A" requirements.

Pretty sure that VZW's approval process has nothing to do with it, since from what I understand Apple is completely responsible for the Q&A process. That was part of the agreement before Apple would even consider releasing an iPhone on Verizon's network. Same reason you don't see VZW bloatware on iOS.

I am pretty sure that the main cause of the delay is due to Apple's limited experience working with the Qualcomm baseband that is used in the CDMA version of the device. And I have read that the delay in 4.3.x is due to the fact that for whatever reason, Apple decided to wait on Qualcomm to release new device drivers for the baseband chipset.

I can only assume that the beta iOS 5 for CDMA uses the same baseband software as 4.2.8; and that they plan on having the updated drivers in hand soon enough to incorporate them into the shipping version of iOS 5.

I am getting pretty damn sick of the GSM version getting new features while the CDMA version is stuck on an old OS, though.