What's new

whatsapp crashing , don't want to lose my old messages

ahsanali32

Reaction score
i just switched to iPhone from android , my whatsapp is crashing and i am unable to open it . i've important messages in it i don't want to lose . are my messages being backed up ? if not how can i back up my messages without opening whatsapp . if yes how to restore when i install new whatsapp

Your WhatsApp messages are not backed up to the WhatsApp servers. If you back up your iPhone to iCloud or through iTunes, you may be able to recover your messages by restoring your iPhone from the backup. WhatsApp FAQ - How do I restore my messages?
if i make back up from itunes and unintsall whatsapp then restore backup i will get my messages back and everything else will remain same ?

wait a minute . back up should be made when things are working fine .
what good will it do if i create a back up when my whatsapp is crashing
it will remain the same after the restore

Unfortunately, a backup is the only way of recovering your messages if you have to delete the app and reinstall it because it's misbehaving. How recent is your latest backup? You will lose all data added to the iPad after the last backup was made if you do restore your iPad.
At this point you have nothing to lose, since you can't access your WhatsApp app. If you backup now and restore, you'll either be back to where you are now or the problem will be fixed.

Unfortunately, a backup is the only way of recovering your messages if you have to delete the app and reinstall it because it's misbehaving. How recent is your latest backup? You will lose all data added to the iPad after the last backup was made if you do restore your iPad.
At this point you have nothing to lose, since you can't access your WhatsApp app. If you backup now and restore, you'll either be back to where you are now or the problem will be fixed.
unfortunately this is my new phone and i haven't made any back up yet
is there any way i can back up my whats app data to PC and restore it after reinstalling the app
like you can do in android

WhatsApp does have a method for transferring your chat history from one phone to another. If you still have your Android phone you may be able to transfer your chat history to your iPhone. Your more recent chats, originating from your iPhone won't be included in the transfer. WhatsApp FAQ - Transferring the chats on my old phone to my new phone
thank you for your help , its much appreciated , yes we can transfer chat from android to iPhone but the messages i want are in iPhone , is there any way i cant transfer iPhone whats app data to PC then reinstall whats app and restore the data ?

thank you for your help , its much appreciated , yes we can transfer chat from android to iPhone but the messages i want are in iPhone , is there any way i cant transfer iPhone whats app data to PC then reinstall whats app and restore the data ?
You have to be able to access the WhatsApp app on your iPhone to do that.

Force close the app:
Double tap the Home button to show the App Switcher, then slide the thumbnail below the app icon towards the top of the screen. This procedure helps with apps that "misbehave". If Whatsapp stops crashing, make sure you enable the backup feature when you open the app.

Rebooting your iPhone might help as well:
Press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both. Your device will power up on it's own.

If these don't help with your problem, the next step would be to delete the app, and reinstall it, which will also remove the messages which were not backed up.